New to hiking need backpack help

Posted by: mvill

New to hiking need backpack help - 03/29/10 10:54 AM

I don't want to spend more than $70 and I will be going on 2-3 day hikes and I am 6'1" and about 200lb( male). I don't mind large packs but don't want to go over 80 liters. There is a Lowe ALPINE Kanga Himal SE 80+10 in new condition on craigslist for $70 or there are some on amazon called TETON fox 75+10 and the TETON scout 3400, also NEBO Sports Wilderness 60, and a
High Peak Kathmandu 70 + 10. Which would you recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/High-Peak-Kathmand...4281&sr=8-1

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/spo/1663491776.html

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Scout3400-I...4328&sr=8-1

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/NEBO-Sports-Wilderness-60-Backpack/3036381/product.html

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Fox-75-10-Mars-Red-Backpack/496056/product.html

Which one?
Posted by: wesarnold

Re: New to hiking need backpack help - 04/07/10 10:30 PM

I'm a noob myself - so you can take or leave my advice:

You get what you pay for. I'm sure you can get good deals on some cheaper brand stuff - but I would stick with a big-name manufacturer i.e. kelty, deuter, osprey, gregory, etc. There's plenty of them. Go to REI.com, campmore.com, moosejaw.com, or any of the other big suppliers and look at what brands they sell - and then go look on craigslist and ebay for one of the better brands.

And that's not to say the bags you mentioned aren't good - I've just never heard of them.

Good luck! grin
Posted by: Glenn

Re: New to hiking need backpack help - 04/07/10 10:34 PM

Sorry, I can't help you out either - I'm not familiar with the packs you describe.
Posted by: TrekkerScott

Re: New to hiking need backpack help - 04/08/10 03:04 AM

A good time to find packs on the cheap is during the off season at specialty backpacking stores such as campmore, REI, backwoods, or your local stores.

I found a really decent women's Kelty backpack for my girlfriend for only $80.

Your best bet is to get an external frame backpack, those are the cheapest by far, and you can usually find them at army surplus stores. However, external frame backpacks are only useful if you will be hiking on well made trails. They are not well balanced, and can send you off a cliff if you don't have your footing. They can also snag very easily on branches etc...

If I were to chose between the ones you listed, I would pick the high peak, or the teton. You are better off just buying a nice pack from REI though, or some backpacking store close to you. They have warranties on their products, and will fix and replace backpacks that are damaged. I have a Gregory Baltoro 70, which I like a lot, and they just fixed mine for free! laugh
Posted by: finallyME

Re: New to hiking need backpack help - 04/08/10 09:58 AM

All those are the same. If those are the only ones you are considering, then buy the cheapest one. But, you need to ask yourself some questions first.

1. Are you only going on one trip, or is this a life changing event and you plan to go on many trips afterward? Or, are you undecided, and the first trip will determine if you continue?

If this is only going to be one trip, or the maiden voyage to determine if you want to continue, then I suggest you rent a pack. If, however, you have changed your life and plan to do this a lot, then go to question 2.

2. How much stuff do you need to put in it? You won't know this until after you have all your other stuff. This is why it is best to buy a pack AFTER you have everything else.

3. What is your pack frame size? You won't know this until you go into a store that fits packs, and they have a knowledgeable person that can fit you right. If you buy a pack that doesn't fit, and you can't return it, you might as well just light a fire to the money you spend on it.
Posted by: ratherBcamping

Re: New to hiking need backpack help - 04/09/10 05:53 PM

I've had pretty good luck with Dick's Sporting Goods on relatively inexpensive camping gear. I got my Kelty Coyote 4750 there for a steal, they price matched a sale I found on Cabela's website.

Remember this day and age they all want to sell the product, so keep an eye out for deals and ask for a price match.
Posted by: BrianPoland

Re: New to hiking need backpack help - 05/05/10 06:13 PM

Another good place to find a good pack (sometimes) is marshalls

I found an awesome bag there for $60

They also have miscellaneous camping items, hats, shoes, lights, tents, etc..

Not every store depends on the location and store. Just gotta go in and check them out from time to time.
Posted by: Barefoot Friar

Re: New to hiking need backpack help - 05/06/10 08:37 PM

Which one fits your gear best? IOW, buy your pack last.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: New to hiking need backpack help - 05/06/10 09:46 PM

I read a few of the reviews and the TETON Sports Scout3400 seemed to be the best rated.

But the ad says it "is perfectly sized for youth and the light backpacker". It may be too small for you, depends on the gear you'll be using.

But for a few 2-3 day hikes I think you could make due with about anything. If it last more than a couple seasons for that then you did good with it.