Regionality

Posted by: Paul

Regionality - 02/02/10 11:43 PM

For those new to the forum, Welcome, and here is a word of advice about regionality. You'll find lots of great information contained in the posts on the various forums here, and a lot of it is specific to one region or another. Given the tremendous differences between various regions - and seasons - in the US (not to mention overseas), it is important to pay attention to where and when a poster's experience has been gained. If their experience is all in the Rockies in the summer and you're getting started in the Ozarks in the spring, you should be aware of that - some of their tips and tricks will not apply to where and when you're going. I try to stay out of discussions that pertain to places I have no experience in, but in more general discussions it's not always easy to tell. so if in doubt, ask.
The other part of this is that when you post a question or request for info, it really helps to make it clear where and when you'll be going so the folks with experience in that particular area and season can give you good advice.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Regionality - 02/03/10 07:16 AM

Great tip! I always try to specify my region (eastern US, particularly Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and western Virginia along the AT) but sometimes forget.
Posted by: phat

Re: Regionality - 02/03/10 09:37 PM

Of note for newbies, It also helps if you fill out your profile, and/or when asking for advice please be sure to specify where you are and where you are contemplating going - Your July in Missisipi will be entirely different than my July where I live wink

Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Regionality - 02/03/10 11:47 PM

Phat has a point,
Don't come hear secretly and refuse to fill out your profile then ask a lot of questions for help. Please? smile We get this all the time "Where shall I go and what should I take?" and we don't have any idea who you are, where you are, or your experience level.
Jim
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Regionality - 02/04/10 01:34 AM

Or your Tazmania in January, eh?

laugh grin
Posted by: phat

Re: Regionality - 02/04/10 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By Tango61

Or your Tazmania in January, eh?

laugh grin

Well I was trying real hard not to rub that one in any more than I already have... grin

But if you can do it I highly reccomend it for a "winter" trip wink