Need help with 3-season clothing.

Posted by: Teller

Need help with 3-season clothing. - 01/12/10 10:07 PM

I am looking for clothing advice for 3-seasons in Colorado. I keep looking in the F/S sections of various websites and I find items that I like, but never pull the trigger because I just cannot make up my mind if they are items that I will actually need. I don't want to spend a lot of money on clothes that will just sit in my closet-- so I am looking for help on a definitive list, or at least some possible suggestions for purchases that would suit my three-season needs.

I have a standard Marmot fleece and a Marmot windproof softshell, which I am satisfied with for mid-layer insulation. My fear is that the fleece could be a little bulky, so just out of curiosity, are there any relatively affordable alternatives?

For base-layer tops I was considering the MTS crew, Capilene 1 or 2-- are any of these adequate enough for my needs? Too light, not heavy enough? Any other alternatives, suggestions or combinations?

For a rain jacket I was just going to opt for either a Marmot Precip or REI's Taku, the latter of which was offered to me for around the same price as the Precip. I'm looking for advice on what to go for?

I am also looking for advice on outerlayer pants. If you was only purchasing one pair for three seasons in Colorado, would you go for a pair of rain pants like the Marmot Precip or REI Ultra Light Pants, or would you go for some quick drying pants like the REI Saharas?

I am really just looking for some guidance on what to buy or items to consider. Thank you in advance for your time.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Need help with 3-season clothing. - 01/13/10 12:01 AM

I wouldn't over think this one. Your layers as described sound pretty good. From the outside in, I use a Columbia rainshell that I was given at a conference a few years ago. It is lightweight and waterproof. I don't need more. Under that I wear a generic fleece top when it is cool or cold. As long as I am moving, this keeps me more than warm. Under that I wear a USN GI khaki short sleeved dress shirt that never shows dirt, never needs ironing, and dries in seconds. I love it, and I got it for $1 at a thrift shop.

And on VERY cold mornings I will leave my sleep top on for a while---it's a long sleeve underarmor shirt that wicks really well. So for cold weather that four layers of insulation--all of which dries quickly and folds up small.

And for those keeping score at home, the fleece also came from a thrift store. I think the whole ensemble cost me less than $10

Pants? A pair of convertble synthetic hiking pants that dry in seconds. If it is too cold to hike in those, I get in the sleeping bag and wait for warme weather!

Posted by: Steven

Re: Need help with 3-season clothing. - 01/14/10 10:42 PM

I have to throw my support behind the thrift store deals. While I haven't found anything for $1.00, I have found several great items. First I found a pair of synthetic pants with zip off legs. Then a nice Eddie Bauer merino wool sweater, a down vest (Compresses down to the size of a small water bottle), a north face and a patagonia pull over jacket. All that for $20.00.

If your lucky you will find all sorts of stuff. Then go out and use it. If you end up not liking it, or end up falling down and tearing something you won't feel so bad. smile

Good luck.
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Need help with 3-season clothing. - 01/15/10 09:56 AM

Test different thrift store products in the JeffCo open space areas. Getting out there is the key to finding stuff that works for you.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Need help with 3-season clothing. - 01/19/10 06:05 PM

Main precautions for thrift store clothing: Hold fleece up to light to make sure you can't see through it. Check for ripped seams, holes, busted zippers. Chances are good that, unless you really love sewing, you'll never repair it. Try it on to be sure it fits. (If you really love sewing, consider making your own!)

It may take several visits to several different stores to find everything you need.

The athletic (not outdoor) department at big box stores (Target, KMart, Wallyworld, etc.) may have some good clothing buys, also. Nylon shorts or track pants, breathable tops, etc.

I'm not a fan of REI (Really Expensive Items) clothing, for the most part, unless it is marked way down. Much of their women's clothing is either cotton or designed for women with no hips! I like their lightweight MTS base layer fabric in that it's softer and cheaper than Patagonia Capilene--except when you can get the latter on sale. I have the latter (Capilene 2) due to being able to get it on closeout, which was cheaper. Admittedly, I ended up with some weird color combinations!

Most people recommend lightweight base layers, even for winter. The main purpose of a base layer is to wick moisture away from your body. And you don't want to sweat while you're moving!
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Need help with 3-season clothing. - 01/19/10 08:57 PM

Look for sales. I am wearing a Patagonia fleece I bought on sale for $15 twenty years ago (or was it twenty-one?). Still works great. And it is not the oldest fleece I still use.

Really good stuff lasts and lasts and is a good bargain in the long run, even if purchased at list price.