grandpa's cough syrup

Posted by: bok

grandpa's cough syrup - 11/15/09 09:20 PM

Ok so im not really the most super mega hyperlite camper/hiker, at the same time if I can shed a little weight here or there great, but im not going to extremes to do it.
In my limited exp. I have always taken some scotch with me but I've always just put it in 1-3 8oz stainless steel flasks.
My question is would scotch be ok in a nalgene or lexan bottle?? what does everyone else do?? I'm going to pick up a couple of new water bottles sometime this week and if I can replace the stainless steel flasks and save a little weight I'll do that.

on a side note, you can't search for a phrase on this site and it makes it difficult finding similar posts. I don't have time to look through every post that has alcohol or bottle in it, so I apologize if this topic has been covered before.
Posted by: scottyb

Re: grandpa's cough syrup - 11/15/09 11:22 PM

There was an extensive discussion that I started. It is in "General Discussions" and is titled "Any Luck Carrying Whiskey in a Nalgene". It was a little over a year ago. I found it but I don't know how to link it.
Posted by: Paul

Re: grandpa's cough syrup - 11/16/09 11:04 PM

Have carried scotch in a polyethylene Nalgene bottle with good results, but usually I use a plastic bottle that some cheap scotch came in. Buy a hip-flask size bottle of some cheap rotgut that comes in plastic, dump the rotgut and fill with the good stuff.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: grandpa's cough syrup - 11/17/09 12:00 PM

Polycarbonate (Lexan) is the clear plastic used in Nalgene and "Pop" bottles. It's impervious to alcohol, so it will work fine for your scotch.

The main thing to remember about it is that you should recycle it when it gets crazed or hazy.

I wouldn't use a Nalgene bottle for backpacking though. It's heavier than a disposable bottle and offers little, if any, advantage for you.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: grandpa's cough syrup - 11/17/09 12:13 PM

1 pt. Platypus works perfectly...anywhere. No taste imparted.
Posted by: Zalman

Re: grandpa's cough syrup - 11/17/09 12:16 PM

Hey bok, I suspect you'd cut your flask weight nearly in half by carrying cask-strength scotch, and watering it down to taste when you're ready to drink it.
Posted by: phat

Re: grandpa's cough syrup - 11/17/09 02:35 PM

Plastic is fine for scotch. I normally carry cask stength in a small nalgene. a platypus works fine too..
Posted by: bok

Re: grandpa's cough syrup - 11/17/09 03:01 PM

I appreciate your help, thanks for all the suggestions everybody.
Posted by: Ecrow

Re: grandpa's cough syrup - 11/23/09 10:07 PM

I buy the cheap "Canadian Mist" whiskey and use its 200ml plastic bottle. It one of the few flat plastic booze bottles. And... nobody swipes it.