Anyone use a Big Agnes Iron Mountain matress?

Posted by: Steadman

Anyone use a Big Agnes Iron Mountain matress? - 09/27/09 02:14 AM

Does/has anyone use(d) a Big Agnes Iron Mountain matress?

They come in a family of matresses (mummy/rectangular and either long/short). Experience with any in the family would be helpful.

The reason I am asking is that I am a boney side sleeper who doesn't get a good night's sleep on the foam pads I've tried, and my other option is a 4lb Coleman airmatress (very comfortable, but too heavy).

I'm looking at buying this peice of gear as a warmer weather option.

Steadman
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Anyone use a Big Agnes Iron Mountain matress? - 09/27/09 03:19 AM

This is evidently a discontinued model because it's not listed on the BA web site. It's evidently not insulated, so it might get too cool at temps below about 45* F (depends on how warm/cold you sleep). The Coleman mattress you mentioned is for car-camping and far too heavy for backpacking. I also need a nice thick cushy air mattress, as do most of us side-sleepers, but I don't want to break my back carrying it.

There are several possibilities in the 2.5 inch thick air pad category--I'm listing only the ones that are insulated, which for most (except the NeoAir) will take you down to 20* F:

--Big Agnes Insulated Air Pad
--Pacific Outdoor Ether Thermo 6 (personally, I find this one far more comfy than the BA pads, but YMMV)
--Thermarest NeoAir (not insulated but will take you down to 32*F, lower with a thin piece of closed-cell foam) (lightest weight but VERY expensive)

Then there are the 3+ inch thick pads such as the Exped Downmat and Stephenson's Down Mat. Those are definitely cold-weather pads, heavier and more expensive, but more luxurious than their 2.5" three-season brethren.

Whichever pad you get, sleep on it on the floor at home for a couple of nights before deciding if it's a keeper. 10-15 minutes on the floor at REI is not, IMHO, a sufficient test!
Posted by: lori

Re: Anyone use a Big Agnes Iron Mountain matress? - 09/27/09 11:07 AM

As a fellow bony side sleeper, I considered Exped, which are heavy, Big Agnes, and when the recent released NeoAir came out I finally bit - the Neo may be expensive but it's less expensive than the Exped Downmat I was considering.

Prior to this purchase I began sleeping in a hammock. Since the NeoAir works well for me in the hammock and on the ground, I consider myself adequately prepared - the hammock is still more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, and when unable to set up the hammock, I have 2.5" of inflatable mattress and a thin foam pad to make it easier to tolerate a night on the ground. I know I'll be comfortable to 30F and above, as this is what I experienced; I think it will go lower if I need it to, with the foam pad.