Favorite hiking boots/shoes

Posted by: Jandroos

Favorite hiking boots/shoes - 09/13/09 12:23 AM

What's your favorite brand and model of hiking boot?
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Favorite hiking boots/shoes - 09/14/09 02:17 PM

I've been wearing Merrell's for around five years now. I don't have access to try on many other quality brands, but I always try every pair available at several stores before buying.

The current pair are Merrell Chameleons. The previous pairs were Merrell Radius, which I liked a little more.

But it really doesn't matter what I like, you really need to try them all on too.

Bill

Posted by: aimless

Re: Favorite hiking boots/shoes - 09/14/09 08:38 PM

Feet differ so much that a great boot/shoe for one person's feet will be a horror show for another person's feet.

I happen to like the "plain" Vasque Breeze boots, without the goretex liner. My feet are both narrow and bony, with a well-defined arch. For some reason Vasque boots seem to like my feet a bit better than most other brands, so I tend to stick with them.
Posted by: phat

Re: Favorite hiking boots/shoes - 09/14/09 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By Jandroos

Any brand and model that fits right and feels good. Now let me explain to you why this is a pointless discussion:

1) Everyone's feet are different. What some people like, others will hate. Proper fit depends on the person and the boot.

2) Every model and brand is changed too frequently for any sort of consistency, with rare exceptions.

Posted by: Bushman

Re: Favorite hiking boots/shoes - 09/16/09 01:37 PM

the one that fits!

Asic running shoes! Friend has like 500+ miles on them. I have maybe 150.

The boots i have are Wolverine, i like them.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Favorite hiking boots/shoes - 09/16/09 04:58 PM

Phat is absolutely right! The best footwear is what fits you and is comfortable for you.

However, I must report that after stubbornly insisting on boots all these years due to ankle issues, I've made the switch to trail runners and am far more comfortable. The trail runners provide support for things like my severe pronation problems, which boots (even with various types of insoles) do not. I carried over 30 lbs for a couple of days last summer (due to sick dog--I was carrying his stuff too), but I never missed the boots!

I also found it very hard to find boots, since very few outdoor stores carry a decent selection. That's especially true in my case with women's boots. All they do carry are goretex-lined, which sweat my feet and, once wet, take days to dry.

Trail runners are best bought at a good running shoe store.
Posted by: Kieran

Re: Favorite hiking boots/shoes - 09/16/09 09:24 PM

I'm currently shoe shopping and tend to fall into the trail running shoe crowd as well because i also have pronation and arch issues. plus boots always sweat my feet out.

the issue I'm concerned about right now is that I'm preparing for some late fall and winter hikes, so waterproofness is a concern (in OH/PA/WV this time of year means soggy and snow). on backpackinglight.com, some folks recommended some high-end NB with some gaiters added on. Since this thread is ongoing - do any of you have $0.02 to add in on that?
Posted by: Haiwee

Re: Favorite hiking boots/shoes - 09/18/09 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By Jandroos

2) Every model and brand is changed too frequently for any sort of consistency, with rare exceptions.

I've been wearing the Cabela's kangaroo-skin upland boots for years for just this very reason: they fit perfectly, and they've never changed the style. I think I've gone through five pairs the past twenty years. I can usually get them re-soled once before the boot itself begins to fall apart.

A lot of people around here use trail runners. I like the extra ankle support of an actual boot. Go with what fits well and is comfortable.