Newbie in Arizona

Posted by: Brian

Newbie in Arizona - 05/13/09 04:48 AM

Hi all! I've wanted to get into backpacking for a while. I bought most of the gear I need about half a year ago, but have only gotten to take one overnight trip because my work schedule makes it hard to do any trips.

Well I have vacation coming up, with 4 extra days set aside in which I wanted to take a backpacking trip. Not necessarily a 4 day trip, but something where I can spend one night out there. I have looked at so many photos of backpacking high up in the mountains, just mountain tops and greenery and it looks so peaceful and beautiful. I want to go some place like that, but not sure of anywhere near AZ. I was thinking somewhere in Colorado. Any suggestions?

And the question that I wanted to ask the most is...None of my friends are into backpacking or want to get into it. My girlfriend doesn't either. What's a good way to meet some backpacking buddies? I don't mind going alone but my family stresses so much that then I stress if I go somewhere because I know they are worried to hell because I'm alone.

Anyone in the southwest wanna take a backpacking trip sometime between May 21 and May 24 haha?

Thanks all!
Posted by: Pika

Re: Newbie in Arizona - 05/13/09 09:26 AM

A good three night hike into Arizona high-country is the hike into Manning Camp in the Rincon Mountains east of Tucson. This is part of Saguaro National Park so permits are required for all overnight trips into the back country. A good itinerary would be: day 1; Tanque Verde Ridge trail-head in the park, near Tucson, to Juniper Basin camp; day two, Juniper Basin to Manning Camp; day 3, Manning Camp to Grass Shack camp and day 4 out. There is permanent water at Manning Camp and seasonal water at Juniper and Grass Shack. Check on the water status when you get your permit and have the containers to carry at least a gallon if one or more of the seasonal sources are dry. Also, carry something like a coffee filter to strain the floaties and wildlife out of your water if you don't like chewing it before you swallow; some of the water is pretty grungy looking. Also carry a water treatment like pills or a filter.

Get an early start the first day because the weather here is getting hot. Once you gain a couple of thousand feet it is quite a bit cooler. Manning camp is at 8,000 feet.

Added in editing: My avatar photo was taken near Manning Camp.
Posted by: lori

Re: Newbie in Arizona - 05/13/09 10:58 AM

Check meetup.com for local hiking groups. It's sort of like online dating only you meet people with similar interests to pursue those interests, not to pursue... other interests. laugh
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Newbie in Arizona - 05/13/09 12:37 PM

Google is your friend! Try "hiking clubs Phoenix."
Posted by: Brian

Re: Newbie in Arizona - 05/13/09 02:00 PM

Thanks for the tips! I didn't even think to check for clubs. How is that Tucson hike for scenery? My primary motivation for getting into backpacking is landscape photography. Thanks again smile