Mount Killimanjaro

Posted by: Dicholscrn

Mount Killimanjaro - 02/09/09 04:51 PM

Howdy guys and gals,

Well Im obviously new here and have enjoyed reading the threads so far. So my question is what type of pack would you guys recommend for a mountain adventure? Really I am new to "backpacking" (Im a hunter so I use Badland packs but concentrate on the hunting part more) so dont really know where to begin as far as needs are concerned. My father, sister and I have got the bug to climb Killimanjaro next year and want to start training with the pack I will bring. I understand it is not the toughest climb in the world but I want to be prepared. What pack would you recommend or where would be a good place to start? Through my other sites I always read about Kirafu packs. Are those any good?

Thans in advance!

Ryan
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Mount Killimanjaro - 02/09/09 06:34 PM

Kifaru gear is excellent, and the price reflects that. Generally heavy, but also a high load capacity. I think of Kifaru as beast hauler packs.

The porters will carry much of your gear on Killimanjaro. Climbing is a part of the local economy and I suspect you must hire a guide service. Check with the guide services on what type of pack they want you to have.
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: Mount Killimanjaro - 02/18/09 05:09 PM

I agree with Dicholscrn , let the guides carry any gear and just take a small summit pack. Chances are you won't be climbing long enough to have to carry much. Hey... this reminds me of a Youtube link thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCca5mPMp9A

BF cool