looking for new tent!

Posted by: Jacksta76

looking for new tent! - 02/09/09 04:07 AM

I am looking for a new 1-2 person tent for the summer. i will be working at philmont in new mexico and i want something that will be lightweight and be able to handle rain just in case. if anyone has any info i would appreciate it!
Posted by: packin.law.man

Re: looking for new tent! - 02/09/09 10:59 AM

I bought the Marmot Limelight 2 last spring and camped with it during the summer/fall. Its a great lightweight 4.5 pound backpacking tent that comes with its own footprint as well. It held up great in rain and has plenty of mesh for the breeze. I just would not recomend it for cold weather.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: looking for new tent! - 02/09/09 12:42 PM

If you want it to actually be light, then look for LESS than 3 lbs. Also, it rains almost every day at Philmont. You also might want to give more info on what you are looking for; like price range, size, double/single wall etc. If you are going as a guide, you WILL be solo per BSA rules.
Posted by: Jacksta76

Re: looking for new tent! - 02/09/09 01:16 PM

im looking to spend around 150-200 dollars for a solo tent. like someone said already above if it rains all the time i want to be able to stay dry.
Posted by: MyDogAndMe

Re: looking for new tent! - 02/09/09 08:15 PM

friend has this one, i have a 2 man REI dome for the price u cannot go wrong!

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/766994
Posted by: BpackerDon

Re: looking for new tent! - 02/10/09 01:12 AM

I am an adult advisor, and am scheduled to go to Philmont with a troop this summer. I am planning on taking my Tarptent one man Rainbow, as we expect an odd number in our trek. It is a bit over 2 lbs, and lists for $225 on the Tarptent website. Tarptent makes excellent products. It is a single wall tent, which does involve some compromises.

http://www.tarptent.com/

You might talk with Henry Shires who runs Tarptent, maybe he has something the can do for Scouts. I don't know.

Another place to try is Six Moon Designs, but I have not used any of their gear, although I understand it is also excellent.

If you purchase either using the links on this website, the webmaster gets a little contribution to this site.

We will be expedition 710-205, from Fremont CA.
Maybe we will cross paths at Philmont. Hope you have a great summer at Philmont

Don, ASM
Posted by: lori

Re: looking for new tent! - 02/15/09 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By Ken
I have been looking at this one from REI:

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/767268

However, I have no experience with it. It certainly is a lot cheaper that some of my other choices such at the MSR Hubba Hubba HP or the Exped Venus 2.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

that's a really good deal! I set one of those up at REI, nice tent. If I were really into tents I'd have one at that price in a flash.
Posted by: jpanderson80

Re: looking for new tent! - 02/18/09 10:31 AM

Someone has a Tarptent for sale on this site. If I recall correctly it is a Squall for $100.
Posted by: grandtheory

Re: looking for new tent! - 02/18/09 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By Ken
I have been looking at this one from REI:

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/767268

However, I have no experience with it. It certainly is a lot cheaper that some of my other choices such at the MSR Hubba Hubba HP or the Exped Venus 2.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

I think pole sleeves are a pain in the rump. I prefer clips.
Posted by: zach

Re: looking for new tent! - 03/05/09 12:46 AM

I just ordered this tent and it has great reviews. its also very lightweight and right in your price range. I'll be testing it out in a couple of weeks so ill let you know for sure what I think, but I'm sure I'll be satisfied!

http://www.backcountry.com/store/TNF3016/The-North-Face-Tephra-22-Bx-Tent-2-Person-3-Season.html
Posted by: TomD

Re: looking for new tent! - 03/06/09 01:48 PM

For you new members, a 4lb. 11 oz. solo or two person tent is not "very lightweight" by the usual standards of the longtime members of this site. It's not even lightweight by my standards and I carry an 8 lb. winter tent for solo camping.

TNF has a tent called the Solo 12 that weighs just over 2 lbs. Keep in mind, it is tiny. I used a SD Flashlight on a trip years ago and spent a fair amount of time in it in the rain. That is a two person tent. With just me, I had room for my gear, with two people, there wasn't much room for both of us and gear, so give that some thought.

SMD and Tarptent have very lightweight shelters-SMD has a one person tent that weighs 23 oz. in its lightest version, minus stakes - that is about one third the weight of Zach's tent.

I'm not picking on you personally Zach, just using your choice as an example of how perceptions differ here from what you may be used to seeing.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: looking for new tent! - 03/07/09 01:46 PM

ken
3 pounds each for a reliable tent with space is not a lot. Saving another pound may cost a couple hundred dollars.
Jim