tent question

Posted by: bok

tent question - 10/19/08 06:37 PM

ok so im a newb-ish (i've been camping many times before) to the backcountry type of camping/hiking. I just pitched out an old summer tent (real piece of junk) and made a serious (for me anyway) purchase. I bought a Eureka Alpinelite 2xt, my friends and I are hoping to do some winter camping/hiking (N.S. canada), nothing to serious as its our first time, just a night here and there.
My question is should I waterproof the seams/stitches?? I have read a few different times about waterproofing your tent no matter what. I have not received it yet (in postal transit) it comes with the rain fly and vestibule, I also got the footprint. Should I get the seam seal anyway?? I just want it to last a few years at least and of course not leak!

thanks for your help
robert
Posted by: ajherman

Re: tent question - 10/19/08 07:06 PM

It would not hurt to seal it now.

http://www.eurekatent.com/tent_care.aspx

there are directions on the manufactures page.
Posted by: phat

Re: tent question - 10/19/08 08:35 PM

Seam seal is always a good idea. Particularly if you want your tent to withstand a downpour over a protracted period and not leak.
Posted by: TomD

Re: tent question - 10/19/08 11:25 PM

What you are sealing are the seams. In particular sealing up the holes made by the sewing needles as they stitch the pieces together.

Some tents have seam tape that does the job, others require seam sealer, which is a silicone based sealant. Follow the directions, it is a bit tedious but necessary. Sealing won't necessarily add to the life of the tent, but will keep it from leaking, which is the point of sealing it in the first place.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: tent question - 10/20/08 01:03 PM

Happy birthday bok.

“I bought a Eureka Alpinelite 2xt, …My question is should I waterproof the seams/stitches??”

I own several Eureka’s. They are a very good tent though on the heavy end of the backpacking spectrum. New Eureka tents don’t leak. They are factory taped and sealed.

After a few years, they will need to be resealed.

-Barry