Star Trek Weather Technology vs. Today's

Posted by: OregonMouse

Star Trek Weather Technology vs. Today's - 03/09/15 01:08 PM

As we trekkies lament the death of Leonard Nimoy, a professor of meteorology at the University of Washington was inspired to compare Star Trek's technology used by Mr. Spock to what we actually have in 2015.

Star Trek weather technologies vs. today's

Live long and prosper!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Star Trek Weather Technology vs. Today's - 03/13/15 07:38 AM

A side of you none of us knew about, eh, Mouse?

Of course, you remember the scene in one of the Star Trek movies where Kirk is climbing a sheer cliff (El Cap? I'm an easterner and non-climber), Spock surprises him wearing some jet-shoe things, then catches him when he falls. I'm still waiting for the stuff from the next scene, around the campfire - some sort of pad that doesn't need a sleeping bag, no tent, no bulky pack. I want their gear.

Of course, I'm still waiting for my flying car from the 50's...
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Star Trek Weather Technology vs. Today's - 03/13/15 09:47 AM

Interesting. We have surpassed quite a bit of Star Trek tech with some exceptions. That "warp" thing escapes us still. We can't get weather briefings on any planet, anywhere, at the touch of a button.
An Iphone as combined the power of a communicator and tricorder with the right apps. LOL
I have a Enterprise manual around here somewhere and all the schematics show discrete electronics including transistors. Micro surface mount circuitry wasn't even a though back then.

Re: Star Trek Weather Technology vs. Today's - 03/13/15 07:57 PM

Let's see: doors that open when you walk up to them, medical scanners that let a doctor diagnose you without cutting you open, little devices you can wear/carry that let someone pinpoint your location, computers you can talk to (who have vaguely Trek-ish names like Siri), the ability to talk to someone while you watch them on a screen (Facetime) - and let us not forget the miracle of polyester clothing! smile
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Star Trek Weather Technology vs. Today's - 03/13/15 08:41 PM

Still no "beam me up, Scotty"!

Re: Star Trek Weather Technology vs. Today's - 03/13/15 09:56 PM

Yeah, it's the Flying Cars all over again. Of course, if we could beam, then getting from one end of the AT to the other wouldn't be a challenge any more...