stabilized footage of our hike to machu picchu!

Posted by: jazzpur

stabilized footage of our hike to machu picchu! - 02/26/15 10:03 AM

Girlfriend and i just recently got back from Machu Picchu and in all my travels, i must say this seriously was the most beautiful place ive ever been

I put a little video together when i got back. I filmed it with a canon 6d (17-40L mostly) on a laing stabilizer so all of the footage is extremely fluid. Check it out if you guys are into travel

http://youtu.be/JqrOBhPPRd4

From Cusco to Aguas Calientes then along the final leg of the Inca trail stopping at the Inca ruin of Wiñay_Wayna, mystical cloud cover throughout Machu Picchu, and finally a 1200ft climb to the sharp peak of Huayna Picchu for breathtaking views of Machu Picchu.Permits for huayna picchu must be bought months in advance.

enjoy!

Posted by: tramp

Re: stabilized footage of our hike to machu picchu! - 02/26/15 10:46 AM

Typical disjointed lurching composition without any real connection between fleeting scenes. No flow. Slow down a bit. The height of the spasmodic composing is the interposition of several seconds with someone feeding a couple squealing llamas. Resembles a Chevrolet commercial.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: stabilized footage of our hike to machu picchu! - 02/26/15 10:58 AM

Wow, that's harsh tramp. Didn't you have anything good to say about this?

I don't know all those technical terms, but I for one enjoyed the video. I did think the constant camera movement and some of the angle choices were a bit much. It made me feel like an insect flying around. Having said that, it was interesting and definitely showed the beauty and a bit of the culture of the area. Thank you for sharing.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: stabilized footage of our hike to machu picchu! - 02/26/15 12:29 PM

The post that followed has been deleted as unnecessarily judgmental and abusive. We welcome trip reports, although this is a backpacking (wilderness trekking) site, not a travel site.

This thread is being moved to the Off Topic section since it apears to be a travel report rather than about wilderness trekking.

Posted by: AdventureMyk

Re: stabilized footage of our hike to machu picchu! - 02/26/15 04:15 PM

Honestly, I'd like to have watched it but I couldn't get past the train part. It was too much sweeping and filming birds and kids and dogs and what have you while trying to look like it was being taken from a drone or something. It was overdone for the sake of 'art' but frankly it just left me not wanting to go any further. Keep in mind, I have watched a lot of trip videos and I usually have a lot of great things to say. I'm sure it was an awesome trip that I'd love to take, but in the way it was done... At least it wasn't that harsh jerking with fast strobe-like edits as is the trend with current movies who don't want to actually put a decent backdrop in.

I *want* to like the vid but I can't like it if I can't even watch it.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: stabilized footage of our hike to machu picchu! - 02/26/15 07:49 PM

I thought it was very visceral and reminded me of looking around in awe at the surroundings. I enjoyed it. Thanks!
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: stabilized footage of our hike to machu picchu! - 02/27/15 04:01 AM

It really is spectacular there. Congratulations on making it down there. I'm sure all of us here who haven't made the trip would love to.

I had to laugh at Tramp's critique. Come on now Tramp, that is a bit harsh. We're not judging Sundance entries here, though I will say I've seen some pretty cool videos from members here.

I thought this video was damn good. It showcased and highlighted the amazing scenery in a unique and artistic way, and I got to see some more of Machu Picchu, which is always great.

Now, if you really want to go all thumbs down on a video you should suffer through the one I posted a couple weeks ago. It's truly awful, which is surprising considering how little effort I put in to it.

Maybe we do need trip video critics here. I'll enter a video. Movies made here have been winning awards and stuff lately so I'm probably already in the running for the top honors cause it's trendy.

Speaking of trendy stuff, I heard there's some "Branson" reality shows now. One's called "Branson Famous", and there's one with the guy who was "Greg" on the "Brady Bunch" show. We're "Hot" now. My wife tells me we have a Paparazzi here now. cool

Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: stabilized footage of our hike to machu picchu! - 02/27/15 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By billstephenson
We're not judging Sundance entries here
Ha ha! Yep, exactly. The irony is, regardless of the result, it's clear he's using good equipment and put some effort into it. I bet if he'd just shot some casual blocky cell phone footage and threw it up here for the heck of it, no one would be so harsh. Tempering criticism and making it more palatable is becoming a lost art on much of the internet.
Posted by: packlite

Re: stabilized footage of our hike to machu picchu! - 02/27/15 12:50 PM

Watched it on a big screen. Yes, nicely done. Didn't see any candy wrappers on the ground, either. That's a big bonus. Those Llama mug shots were a hoot.

Used to have a big male llama at our little farm. He was mean and would spit at you, but he had a soft heart for my daughter's little flop-ear bunny rabbit. The rabbit slept on top of Chester (the llama) and they would take turns chasing each other around the pen. They were the oddest pairing of buddies I've ever seen.