What older folks do in the mountains in the winter

Posted by: hikerduane

What older folks do in the mountains in the winter - 03/26/08 06:20 PM

Longboards, to deliver mail. http://www.plumasnews.com/news_story.edi?sid=6131

Up in my neck of the woods, the races were held where I worked for four seasons years ago. Great place to learn, as they say, "if you can ski at Johnsville, you can ski anywhere." Plumas Eureka Ski Bowl is right outside that Northern California skiing mecca of Johnsville.:) Nice, friendly atmosphere, when they were open and for the races. They are trying to get everything in place to reopen, a manager was hired, so we will see how long the process takes to get the ski bowl reopened.
Posted by: CAbackpacker

Re: What older folks do in the mountains in the winter - 04/13/08 02:42 PM

HiYa Duane, should have realized you probably checked in here, how ya' doin? This may sound strange, but as I age I think I almost prefer winter in the mountains over summer in many respects! I like solo-hiking/camping & enjoying the solitude. Obviously I love summer up there too, but the quite-tude that winter offers has a special attraction to me for some reason.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: What older folks do in the mountains in the winter - 04/16/08 08:10 PM

Hi David, I just saw your other thread, then saw a reply here. Mid Spring snow camping is great. No bugs yet and few if any people except the ones on your trip if you went with a group. I got sunburned bad a couple years ago on mtnsteve's Spring snow camp trip to Lassen, the temps and weather were so nice. One of the few times I could sleep out in the open without a tent and I even used my summer sleeping bag. I snowmobiled to the Hay Meadow trailhead in the Caribou Wilderness a few years ago, then snowshoed up to a couple small lakes, real quiet, even the birds weren't out much yet and no one else around. What I really enjoy, even in the summer, is hearing the woodpeckers going after the bugs in the lodgepole while still in my sleeping bag.

Did you see the post on NorthCA Hiking, where Maria posted a up coming trip to Lassen, where else? I posted a report of the trip to Butte Lake with links to her photos on highsierratopix. Nice folks on all these bp spots.