Yellowstone Heart Lake Trip

Posted by: TrailElder

Yellowstone Heart Lake Trip - 04/22/18 06:23 PM

Looking for ‘elders’ to join me on Yellowstone Backpacking trip. Four night Heart Lake loop leaving from Southern Park entry on Labor Day. A few 10 to 11 mile days. Hike your own hike and hang out at camp.
Posted by: HPD

Re: Yellowstone Heart Lake Trip - 05/02/18 10:40 AM

Thanks for the invite TE, but I'll have to pass on that one. I'm not a "grizzly country" backpacker and from what little I know, that's prime grizzly habitat.
Good luck!

Re: Yellowstone Heart Lake Trip - 05/02/18 10:10 PM

Thanks for responding. I understand that point of view. I’ve had Grizzles in camp a couple of times at night. Doesn’t make for a restful sleep. Ha Ha. But, they’re rarely an issue. That said - if you’re worried - you probably wouldn’t enjoy the trip. Good luck with your travels!
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Yellowstone Heart Lake Trip - 05/03/18 02:03 AM

FWIW, you might want to tell folks a little about yourself since you're new on the site and you don't have much on your profile. You might get more replies that way.

Re: Yellowstone Heart Lake Trip - 05/03/18 04:01 PM

Good advice - as I’m new to this kind of thing.

Some background on me. I’m 60 years old. I backpacked extensively in my teens and twenties but then stopped for a career, marriage and kids - the usual stuff.

So - a few years ago with the kids grown up and more time my hands I decided to get back into backpacking - something I loved to do in my younger years.

I started off with a solo trips to RMNP two years ago and the a four day solo Grave Lake/Baptiste Lake trip last year.

I’m reaching out on a couple of sites because, well.....I don’t know any backpackers.

I’m fine with going solo but I think it would be fun to get to hike with some people who want to give Yellowstone a try. Plus the Rangers frown when you solo in Yellowstone. Please understand that the trip could be tough if the weather is bad.

Great time of year - end of tourist season - chilly but not too cold yet - mosquitoes are gone. I’ve pulled all of the premium campsites on the loop.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Yellowstone Heart Lake Trip - 05/04/18 12:40 PM

I love this forum, but the members tend to be really spread out geographically and diverse regarding the style of hiking they like. You may want to check out groups that are more local to your area to find fellow backpackers. I would search on Facebook and maybe ask at outdoor stores. Then, when you've found them, bring them back to the forum! We'd love to benefit from your experience!

Re: Yellowstone Heart Lake Trip - 05/04/18 07:53 PM

Ha Ha - yeah okay - I’m out.

Re: Yellowstone Heart Lake Trip - 05/04/18 11:53 PM

I’m closing this Post. I learned that randomly seeking people for a trip is not a good idea.

Nah - I’ll hike solo.
Posted by: HPD

Re: Yellowstone Heart Lake Trip - 09/15/18 08:05 PM

So, TrailElder, how'd it go??