Greetings from the TX hill country

Posted by: FunkyScribe

Greetings from the TX hill country - 08/02/16 12:24 PM

Hello from Austin!

Not quite over the hill, but I've at least finished the uphill part.

I grew up in the wilds of MT, spending as much time outdoors as I could. Then life got in the way for a couple of decades.

Now I'm finally settled in to a healthy, productive existence, and I feel the pull to get back on the trail. I still have piles of (heavy, outdated) gear, and I'm excited to pack it all back up and haul it around the countryside.

(The last time I was fully loaded for 2 weeks in the backcountry of Alaska, my pack was 45 lbs, then I added 2 gallons of water...)

My current goal is to hike the Lone Star Hiking Trail next spring (100 miles), and then maybe the JMT next fall. Just waiting for the infernal Texas sun to give me enough of a break to get in some training miles without dissolving/evaporating into a puddle/cloud of sweat.

Anyway, happy to be here, loving all the information and cool stories.

Cheers!
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Greetings from the TX hill country - 08/02/16 10:44 PM

Welcome aboard, Funky! You've got some wonderful hiking down there in Austin. I'm there once a month or so and always hike somewhere.
Share some of your favorite places with us.
Posted by: FunkyScribe

Re: Greetings from the TX hill country - 08/03/16 09:45 AM

Hello!

My go-to places are McKinney Falls and McKinney Roughs.

The Falls are good once you cross them and get out a bit. The Roughs has some good elevation changes, lots of shade in the bottom, and a great 17 mile loop that isn't too heavily trafficked.

The trail around Ladybird Lake is good if you just want some flatland miles and don't mind a lot of aimless pedestrians around you.

Barton Springs is good if you're just looking to walk on a really rocky trail.

I can't wait for fall to get here so I can take some overnight trips.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Greetings from the TX hill country - 08/03/16 10:21 AM

I like to fish McKinney Falls SP, wading upstream. Perfect creek for it. Never been to McKinney Rough, I don't think.
The green belt is fun during the week...weekends are brutal!
My daughter and son-in-law live in Austin and I play disc golf with them. Some great courses there that include some fun trails.
So much outdoorsie stuff in and around Austin. We based out of Wimberly a couple weeks ago and found some fun hiking. Jacob's Well is "ok". The creek downstream is very nice! Just don't get near the banks else land owners get feisty.