Suggestions for first backpack trip in northern co

Posted by: Alex Russ

Suggestions for first backpack trip in northern co - 07/22/15 07:29 PM

I haven't backpacked in 15-20 years. I am in decent shape for 64 yrs old but probably not backpacking long haul kind of shape. I day hiked The Rocky Mountain national park last September and loved it. This year I would like to go back to the area and backpack. I was not sure how hard it is to get permits for the National Park. If it is easy maybe that is the best place for me to go. But I also thought of surrounding areas and was wondering what other areas would be good in Northern Colorado that I could experience pristine wilderness.
Thanks for any suggestions
Russ
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Suggestions for first backpack trip in northern co - 07/23/15 01:22 PM

Russ,

I'd suggest getting a topographical map for a nearby area and finding some trails. You may have to do some exploratory day hikes to find the good ones.

Another idea is to call the ranger for the forest service that controls the area.

You can always pick a segment of the Colorado Trail and hike that. There is plenty of information available.
Posted by: Alex Russ

Re: Suggestions for first backpack trip in northern co - 07/26/15 08:15 AM

Thanks for the ideas.
Russ
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Suggestions for first backpack trip in northern co - 02/24/16 10:16 PM

There are some trails between Lyons and Estes Park that you can backpack. They are closer to Lyons. I dont remember the name though
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Suggestions for first backpack trip in northern co - 02/25/16 02:35 PM

Rawah Wilderness west of Fort Collins. I haven't been there for a long time, but it was one of my favorites. The NeverSummer Wilderness just outside the NW corner of Rocky Mountain National Park is spectacular, although more rugged than the Rawah. There is also the Mt. Zirkel Wilderness east of Steamboat Springs. These all get you out of the NPS bureaucracy, but into equally beautiful scenery.