New definition of "over the hill"

Posted by: wandering_daisy

New definition of "over the hill" - 04/26/12 07:53 PM

You are over the hill when it takes you longer to descend 5000 feet than go up 5000 feet! And, you are over the hill when you can score a campground at Camp4 in Yosemite for $2.50 a night with your senior pass.
Posted by: aimless

Re: New definition of "over the hill" - 04/26/12 08:15 PM

I am assuming that you heard this new definiton while darting past some young bucks out there on those Sierras trails, when one of them turned to the other and said, "Cripes! Was that a roadrunner?" And his partner said, "No, it was this awesome amazing hiker! But don't bother looking for her any more,; she's already over the next hill by now."

I guess that would mean that from your POV, they were over the hill, too, but behind you. wink
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: New definition of "over the hill" - 04/26/12 09:04 PM

lol

Re: New definition of "over the hill" - 04/27/12 11:34 AM

I may do fine going uphill, but I creep down hills heavily leaning on my trekking poles. I watch youngsters run downhills and only wish I could convince them that if they want to save knees for old age hiking they need to slow down. But then, nobody could have told me that when I was in my 20's!

It has been a mental barrier to me to add an extra "elevation factor" in my trip planning for elevation loss as well as elevationn gain.

Re: New definition of "over the hill" - 04/27/12 12:45 PM

I'm also very slow downhill. If it's really steep, probably slower than uphill!

Posted by: Glenn

Re: New definition of "over the hill" - 04/27/12 05:06 PM

I'm also slower downhill nowadays. I prefer to attribute it to the heightened awareness of the beauty of my surroundings created by the good judgment maturity brings. smile

Re: New definition of "over the hill" - 04/27/12 05:14 PM

Glenn:
lol

We all know that fine wine improves with age, right?
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: New definition of "over the hill" - 04/29/12 11:42 AM

As a wine expert, I need to clarify this. Not all wine improves with age. Some just gets older and nastier.

I just took a rock climbing course with REI. And since I am pushing sixty, I was worried that I might not be able to keep up with the rest of the group--most of whom were half my age and had experience in climbing gyms. I didn't do too badly, but I was surprised about two things.

1. I seemed to focus more on finding an easier route, rather than powering up things. Which isn't to say that I kept up with them...but I was surprised at how willing they were to simply power up over a stretch. Impressive!

2. I didn't feel as if I lacked the strength to do any of the moves ( although arthritis made me think about a few things) but I was surprised that sometimes a lack of flexibility hindered my options.

More yoga!

Posted by: oldranger

Re: New definition of "over the hill" - 04/29/12 04:05 PM

In climbing, flexibility is often far more important than sheer strength.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: New definition of "over the hill" - 04/29/12 11:41 PM

Exactly! Iknew where I wanted to put my foot--I just couldn't get it there!

Re: New definition of "over the hill" - 05/07/12 04:22 PM

The best climbers need it all - power, balance, agility, focus, endurance, natural physical ability AND brains- a apptitude to figure out the route like working a puzzle. Also guts (that is where I was not up to par.) Strength however is not brute strength, but strength per weight. You have to have the strength to get your body up the rock, never mind that 220 pound neanderthal climbing next to you. Lyn Hill is a tiny woman and at one time was about the best climber in the world. SO, the ability to keep climbing as you get old requires you to keep your body weight down. The loss of strength with age is bad enough, but add dead weight to that, and it is all over.