Hello From Colorado

Posted by: timo

Hello From Colorado - 01/28/12 12:15 AM

Ok well I belong to a few forums but really like this thread so joined this one. I am and have always been an avid outdoorman. I like to back country camp to practice my survival skills but I have issues with my left leg and can not walk long distances in one stretch but I refuse to stop. I just go slower. I am a scuba diver, world traveler and explorer. I now design survival kits for a company I will not name at this time but it gives me excuses to do my back country camping. I have a varied background and interests but the wilderness will always be my home. Oh I live at 7000 ft along the front range of the Colorado Rockies. Hmmm guess that about sums up my intro
Timo
Posted by: Krumholtz

Re: Hello From Colorado - 01/28/12 08:51 PM

I too live along the front range. Colorado Springs. Maybe we'll see each other on one of the trails. Krum

Re: Hello From Colorado - 01/29/12 02:02 AM

Nice I am in Monument so chance are good.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Hello From Colorado - 01/29/12 10:24 AM

Nice intro!

We'd love to hear more about what you do at work...and what you think works!

Re: Hello From Colorado - 01/29/12 03:18 PM

Thank you,
what I do for my work, hmmm well it is varied but mainly what I do is design the survival kits. I have lived through several major disasters including Mt. Saint Helens you can read about that experience here: http://www.squidoo.com/surviving-mt-saint-helens my article on it. I have also been a backcountery enthusiast all my life so I have taken this knowledge and designed our kits. Then I took the wilderness kits into the back country and lived off them for a week to try to refine them. My wife (the owner) tells me I spend to much time finding new products to test as an excuse to go test them out. She may be right Lol. Anyways you will get a chance to hear and see more this spring as we plan to do some videos of my trips. Sorry but I am getting to old to go into the backcountry in the Colorado Rockies during the winter. smile
P.S. Nice blog. I will have to explore it more thanks for the link. As a kid my playground was the Sierra Nevadas I lived in Oroville Ca. and explored all through that area on foot clear up into the Bald rock area.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Hello From Colorado - 01/29/12 11:37 PM

Thanks for the comments about the blog!

I'd love to know what you'd recommend for the Sierra...especially since you know the area well.

Re: Hello From Colorado - 01/30/12 08:14 AM

Well as a kid a lot of the trails we took were to get back into swimming holes or back country camping areas a lot were broken by us as kids but there are 2 up there that are really nice that I remember. One is feather falls its about 7 or 8 miles with a great view of a very high water fall at the end. Nice place to primitive camp there also. The other one is up at bucks lake I know there are a few trails up there and the scenery is great. If you go up that way I would check out the bucks lake trails first but do save time to do the falls on the way back as you do not want to miss that one. There are more trails up in the bald rock area but I dont know that they are maintained or used that much most of those were built by high school kids having fun in the back country smile