Intro

Posted by: tramp

Intro - 01/26/12 10:49 PM

New member and approaching geezerhood so this is as good as any forum to say hi.

I've been unemployed for most of the past 3 years and am getting pretty antsy. I figured since I have the time and a few bucks I'll spend some of it outdoors.

I'm not new to backpacking but haven't been out in a couple years. Not a ultra lightweight guy and need to shed a few pounds both gear and rear.

I am going to work towards some fairly serious mountaineering over the next couple years. Right now I just need to get out and put one foot in front of the other and wet a few lines while I'm there.

I currently live in West Virginia so there's no shortage of places to do those things.

That's it for now. smile
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Intro - 01/26/12 11:11 PM

From one geezer to another: hello and welcome. Just in case you haven't (fat chance), be sure to visit the Dolly Sods Wilderness. Spectacular.
Posted by: Ewker

Re: Intro - 01/27/12 10:14 AM

welcome to the site. West Virginia is one place I haven't hiked before.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Intro - 01/27/12 04:27 PM

Welcome to the forum! Lots of us older folk around here!

You might want to check the articles on the home page of this site, left-hand column for ideas on gear, techniques, and lightening the load. It doesn't necessarily have to be expensive, either. A search on the forums helps, too--just read the "sticky" post on "How to Search" in the "General Discussion" section first.

Actually getting out and backpacking definitely helps shed the body weight, but some of us do fight that battle eternally!
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Intro - 01/29/12 10:24 AM

Cool! I'll be trout fishing there in March...