100,000 mile repairs

Posted by: 300winmag

100,000 mile repairs - 01/31/10 02:23 PM

Just had my left shoulder surgery last Wednesday. Rotator cuff prosthesis, bone spur removed, 3 muscles "pegged" into bone, acromion bone debrided to make more room for everything.

So here I sit in a sling, just getting lucid from the early morning (5 AM) hit of Hydrocodone. Yeah, narcotics so I can sleep and prune juice & high fiber breakfas cereal so I can counteract the constipating effects of the narcotics. Well, it all seems to work.

So today, 4 days after surgery, I am going on a 5 mile walk. Maybe I'll need less fiber after the stroll. smile

Physical therapy begins in 2 more weeks. Got to be totally ready for an April 16-22 Grand Canyon backpack. Good to have that as a goal to stay fit.

So that's my 100,000 mile repair. Had to do it. And it seems that, once past 60, I'm having more of these repairs due to my "energetic" past - and present.

Eric
Posted by: oldranger

Re: 100,000 mile repairs - 01/31/10 08:56 PM

Good for you!
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: 100,000 mile repairs - 02/01/10 05:44 AM

My neighbor has had two hip surgeries. In his younger days, he packed enough gear and food to where he could stay out for a month at a time in the southern Sierra. A wealth of info he has.
Posted by: ringtail

Re: 100,000 mile repairs - 02/01/10 11:01 AM

Sounds like a tune up so you can run with the big dogs. awesome

Good luck with your rehab.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: 100,000 mile repairs - 02/06/10 02:13 PM

Well, it's been over a week since the surgery and I can see gradual pain reduction and small increases in range of motion. Things are looking better for that April 16th Grand Canyon backpack. smile

Physical therapy begins around Feb.15th. frown The "Dungeon Master" physical therapist will have at me. Good to know he's about the best in the 'Vegas valley.
Posted by: Pika

Re: 100,000 mile repairs - 02/06/10 03:39 PM

My brother-in-law recently underwent similar surgery. For him it was like a miracle; hope it is for you as well. He did note that aspects of the physical therapy were painful but worth the suffering. Hang in there!
Posted by: ppine

Re: 100,000 mile repairs - 10/12/11 01:47 PM

300winmag,

Good going. I also live in Nevada, with a bad shoulder. The longer you sit, the worse everything gets. I was recovering from a broken femur in 2007 and was discouraged after the x-rays looked the same after 6 months. My friend Rudy who was a smoke jumper and rough stock rider told me words I will never forget- "your job everyday is work so hard you start to cry." After 4 years I am still improving and able to hunt and backpack which is a gift from God.
Posted by: wildthing

Re: 100,000 mile repairs - 07/16/12 05:47 PM

How did the trip work out for you 300winmag? I empathize as will probably need such repairs some day soon. With luck you're going on some lightweight backpacking 202 trips this year.