Mount Colden via Trap Dyke/Dike

Posted by: Buster_Martin

Mount Colden via Trap Dyke/Dike - 05/16/08 01:14 PM

Hello, Everyone! I was wondering if anyone here has done the ascent up Mount Colden via the Trap Dyke. A friend of mine was telling me about it, but I don't get to talk with him very often, so I figured I'd come here. I'm in decent shape, but have no real experience doing anything other than backpacking on trails and such. Is this something that someone can do without any special skills or equipment? I'm more than willing to try, but I'm not sure if there's anything special I should learn or know ahead of time. Also, I assume this is something most people could get done in one day, right (meaning from the time the car is parked until you loop back and return to the car)?

Thank you to anyone that can shed some light on this subject!!

Here's a website my friend sent me about this. It's not his site, but I assume I can post it here.

http://alavigne.net/Outdoors/TripReports/ColdenTrapDike2003/index.jsp
Posted by: gmagnes

Re: Mount Colden via Trap Dyke/Dike - 05/20/08 09:31 AM

Buster
I've not done the trap dyke, but have certainly seen it from Avalanche Pass. I'd tend to think it's not something I'd do without a bit more climbing experience than you describe, or at least not without some partners who know what they're doing in terms of climbing. I think, although I'm not certain, that it crosses the line a bit from just hiking up a herd path to a high peak to more technically oriented climbing. Another forum that's dedicated to the Adirondacks and has a lot of folks who've definitely done the trapdyke is www.adkforum.com. Try there, and you'll definitely get informed opinions of what skill level and experience is needed for that clmib. Good luck,
Gerry Magnes
Schenectady, NY
Posted by: Buster_Martin

Re: Mount Colden via Trap Dyke/Dike - 05/20/08 04:04 PM

Thank you! I'll check it out and see what happens.