Appalachian Trail Book Qustion

Posted by: FlashPacker

Appalachian Trail Book Qustion - 04/14/12 11:55 PM

I have really enjoyed reading tales from the AT. I just completed reading my fourth book this year and have purchased one more. My question is, are there any books written by a thru hiker hiking North to South? The first 4 books I've read went in depth about the first half of the trail, but they all seem to glaze over the second half. The details and insights of the second 1200 miles, have just seemed to be abridged compared to the first 1200 miles. I am assuming this is due to the hikers getting tired of taking such copious notes. Her are the books I've read: "A Walk in the Woods," "Walking North," "A Walk for Sunshine," and "Skywalker." I have purchased "AWOL on the AT" but have not started it yet.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Appalachian Trail Book Qustion - 04/15/12 03:46 PM

I usually read trail journals instead (on trailjournals.com or postholer.com). They are free! I usually follow a couple each year. This year I'm following my friends and fellow Oregonians Balls and Sunshine on the AT, plus Boston and Cubby on the American Discovery Trail. The latter journal is getting rather boring as they are mostly hiking from one restaurant/food store to the next! I'm close to gaining weight just reading about it!
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Appalachian Trail Book Qustion - 04/15/12 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By FlashPacker
I have really enjoyed reading tales from the AT. I just completed reading my fourth book this year and have purchased one more. My question is, are there any books written by a thru hiker hiking North to South? The first 4 books I've read went in depth about the first half of the trail, but they all seem to glaze over the second half. The details and insights of the second 1200 miles, have just seemed to be abridged compared to the first 1200 miles. I am assuming this is due to the hikers getting tired of taking such copious notes. Her are the books I've read: "A Walk in the Woods," "Walking North," "A Walk for Sunshine," and "Skywalker." I have purchased "AWOL on the AT" but have not started it yet.

"See You Down the Trail" by Bert Nemcik. I enjoyed it.

Posted by: PerryMK

Re: Appalachian Trail Book Qustion - 04/16/12 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By FlashPacker
My question is, are there any books written by a thru hiker hiking North to South?

I came across this book but have not actually read it yet. It has some good reviews though.
Southbound on the Appalachian Trail by Ken Sarzynski (Paperback - Dec 14, 2010)
Posted by: Ewker

Re: Appalachian Trail Book Qustion - 04/17/12 09:50 AM

Barefoot Sisters: Southbound

http://www.amazon.com/Barefoot-Sisters-S...pd_rhf_ee_shvl3