Model T

Posted by: Kent W

Model T - 04/23/11 09:30 AM

I am about 300 pages into "Walkin on The Happy Side Of Misery"
By JR Model T Tate. I have to say this is excellent reading. The guys sense of humor is great. I highly recomend this book, I read over two hundred pages the first day!
Incidently, on my recent Smokies trip I met a tru Hiker at Silers shelter at Lunch. He also used the trail name Model T . He ate lunch and I spoke with him brefly. Before returning Home my son and I stayed a night at The Grand Prix in Gatlinburg. This was on Friday April 8. Model T was there and we talked again , he was showered and feeling good. I found his journal online when I returned home. Also a post bye his daughter on White Blaze.net On Mon April 11 He was found in his tent at I beleive Davenport Gap. He had Passed away in his sleep! He was age seventy on his first tru hike!
Rest In Peace Model T the second! Incidently he looked very much like pictures of JR Tate!
Posted by: aimless

Re: Model T - 04/23/11 12:44 PM

Aye, RIP.

There's a lot to be said in favor of a good life, but also much to be said for a good death.

I've heard about the book, too, but have never yet run across a copy of it. Perhaps some day I'll make the effort to search it out from one of its hiding places.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Model T - 04/25/11 01:10 AM

Kent:

Thanks for that story -- that is absolutely the best way to go. That you had a chance to talk to him, glean a little info about hiking and life from him, is something I'm sure you and your son will always remember. I'd consider that second encounter with him a most fortunate coincidence.

Based on your good review, I just ordered the other Model T's book from amazon. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for that tip.