Cactus Eaters

Posted by: Amtrak

Cactus Eaters - 12/17/08 03:02 PM

A good read by a polished writer about his PCT thru-hike. Makes you think of "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Byrson.
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Cactus Eaters - 12/18/08 08:47 AM

Have you had a chance to read 'Dances With Marmots'? If not, it is very enjoyable!
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Cactus Eaters - 01/02/09 06:51 AM

Originally Posted By sarbar
Have you had a chance to read 'Dances With Marmots'? If not, it is very enjoyable!

Picked up Cactus Eaters from the library and I am about 3/4 through. the guy is an arrogant self centered jerk. I am glad that I did not purchase the book. Dances with Marmots is much more enjoyable. The author is a member of this group and posts from time to time. IMO being a polished writer is not much of a plus on that type of book. Being someone I can relate to is much more of a plus and George is someone I can relate to.
Posted by: Amtrak

Re: Cactus Eaters - 01/02/09 08:53 PM

You must have read a different book than I did. You seem angry. Couldn't help noticing you did a good job selecting your user name.
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Cactus Eaters - 01/03/09 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By Amtrak
You must have read a different book than I did. You seem angry. Couldn't help noticing you did a good job selecting your user name.

I do not think that a writer who responds to every problem with "f*** it" as a polished writer. He treats his girl friend and other hikers like a piece of dirt. Right to the end of the book he is blaming others for his problem. When he does something stupid it ends up being his girl friends fault because she did not warn him about the danger etc. When he has a problem he expects her to support him and she does but when she wants some support he either refuses to support her or abandons her. Right up to the end of the book he never took responsibility for his behavior. If being offended by that type of behavior makes me sound angry or grumpy then so be it.
Posted by: bung

Re: Cactus Eaters - 03/20/09 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By Amtrak

You'd be grumpy too if you lived in Michigan! crazy