Anyone using Pharos trips and pics?

Posted by: Eltex

Anyone using Pharos trips and pics? - 06/26/08 04:31 PM

I stumbled across this product the other day, and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with it.

It's basically a small GPS logger that you time-sync with your camera. When you get home, you download your pictures and the GPS data. It merges them, based on timestamps, creating a Google Earth file with your pictures linked to the location you took them at.

Review at:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2291452,00.asp

I'm a Google Earth nut, so will probably end up getting this if I don't hear any horror stories.
Found it at Amazon for $50.

Thanks,
Doug
Posted by: NiytOwl

Re: Anyone using Pharos trips and pics? - 07/01/08 11:03 PM

My only objection is the logger is a single-function device. It's a GPS with no way to read the position until you plug into a computer. The 24-hour battery life should get you through several days of hiking if you remember to turn it off when you make camp.

If you set a waypoint when you take pictures, a standard GPS can do the job as well. Then if you need a GPS for navigation, you have one. Name the waypoint with the frame number of the first picture you shoot from the location. Eh...but then there's no automatic merge of pictures with metadata, so it's a question of whether you're willing to enter coordinates manually or can forego the use of a GPS in favor of the display-less logger.

Personally, I'd wait a few more months. There are some new cameras coming out and at least one currently available that will incorporate GPS receivers specifically for geotagging.
Posted by: Eltex

Re: Anyone using Pharos trips and pics? - 07/04/08 05:09 AM

Good info, NiytOwl - Thanks!
It will be interesting to see what all is coming out soon.

If I do end up buying the Pharos, I'll be sure to post a review.

Doug