GPS Mapping SW - DeLorme Top USA 7.0

Posted by: ChrisP347

GPS Mapping SW - DeLorme Top USA 7.0 - 01/26/08 06:22 PM

Hi,
I just got this software (sw) from REi and I'm not too impressed upon first look vs. USGS Topo Maps. Many trails for a given area are not included, e.g. Mt. Rogers, VA in the Big Wilson Creek area has only the AT and one of the major horse trails shown, but there are many other trails down in the creek valley that are not shown.

Can anyone comment on how to add new trail detail to the sw using data from other sources on the web? I read this on the REI site but have no clue as to where to start.

I need to be able to get all the trails on the map, plus I need 1:24K resolution which is why I bought the sw in the first place. My GPS setup is a Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx and I've got the Garmin Topo US sw but quite frankly it sucks too.

My goal is to be able to print out paper or plastic maps with good trail detail matching that of USGS topo maps. I always use maps as my primary reference and I break out the GPS only upon the need to confirm things or to lay breadcrumbs to update maps.
Posted by: ogg_p

Re: GPS Mapping SW - DeLorme Top USA 7.0 - 02/23/08 11:59 PM

I have version 6.0 so I think this probably applies to your version as well. There is a type of file format, called GPX, that enables GPS route information to be transferred from one mappping program to another. GPX files end with .gpx. The hikes in the Destinations section of the Backpacker.com website have .gpx files that you can download and import into your software. These files won't necessarily show an entire trail, just whatever segment of the trail the authors traced with their GPS or mapping software. You can find GPX files elsewhere on the internet as well. To import .gpx files in version 6.0, I click on the Draw tab, then click on Import, then click on whatever .gpx file I want to import. It might be done the same way in version 7.0, but if not, look around for some way to import files.