Do you have a personal beacon and have you ever

Posted by: JohnyH

Do you have a personal beacon and have you ever - 01/24/19 07:33 PM

Used it?

I'm interested in the details of what happened to you

in case you don't know what I'm talking about I am referring to a plb or similar devices such as Spot, garmin inreach, etc...
Posted by: aimless

Re: Do you have a personal beacon and have you ever - 01/24/19 09:24 PM

I own a PLB. I have never used it and hope I never need to. I bought it when I used to solo hike off-trail more than I do at present, but I am solo hiking almost always and my strong preference is for uncrowded trails with plenty of solitude, so it still makes sense for me. Also, my part of the country (Pacific NW) has very spotty or no cell coverage in national forests and wilderness areas where I tend to hike most.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Do you have a personal beacon and have you ever - 01/25/19 04:16 PM

I have both a PLB (McMurdo Fastfind) and a satellite text communicator (Inreach). I mostly use the Inreach because it serves as both a PLB and a two-way text communicator. I have never used the PLB capability of either but when I’m on an overnight hike or longer I use the communicator capability almost daily. I’m in my early 80’s and my family appreciates knowing how I’m doing while on the trail. And, they also like the idea that I can call for help if needed.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Do you have a personal beacon and have you ever - 01/28/19 09:59 PM

Have used an InReach on and off the last few years. Two-way comms with home are a blessing, plus they can give you weather updates.

Have never needed the emergency function, thankfully, and suppose (because I'm SO competent) it's as much for helping someone we encounter as for ourselves. Peace of mind can be its own reward.

PLBs are an all-or-nothing proposition that you genuinely hope to never put to use. They have the advantage of no fees but for whatever reason the ones I see do not have user-replaceable batteries.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Do you have a personal beacon and have you ever - 01/29/19 12:30 PM

I don't own one, but I would strongly consider getting one for certain kinds of trips with higher risk than what I typically do.