Drones

Posted by: Adventure510

Drones - 12/06/16 02:52 PM

Does anyone know what a good type of drone I should get?
Posted by: aimless

Re: Drones - 12/06/16 03:20 PM

Since you are asking on a backpacking website, I expect you are thinking about using your drone in a backcountry setting. I can't recommend a drone for you, but I think it is worth noting that drones are banned from all designated wilderness areas. I am not certain about national parks, which often have local and unique regulations. National forests, to my knowledge, do not have different regulations than the usual FAA ones.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Drones - 12/06/16 05:21 PM

They are out of season... most bees are available May - August time frame. Why do you only want drones? Usually you always get a queen with them.

...ohhhhh... those kind of drones.... nm
Posted by: the-gr8t-waldo

Re: Drones - 12/07/16 11:27 AM

It remains forbidden to fly unmaned aircraft in u.s. national parks. One could fly into park territory from the outside of park edges, but only to the limits of the controller's sight.
Posted by: mekineer

Re: Drones - 12/19/16 07:34 PM

Why is it forbidden? Were they causing problems in some way? Any disadvantage?

For me, I like the idea of being hidden away, and drones make it easier to be found. But I don't think that's the reason they would be forbidden.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Drones - 12/19/16 08:10 PM

My guess is that they are forbidden because they can easily disrupt wildlife, and they impinge on the experience of nature that most people seek in the National Parks.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Drones - 12/19/16 08:59 PM

Forbidden for a number of reasons. If one goes down it will most likely be in a hard to reach area where recovery is dangerous or impossible. They can go down in closed areas, and wreckage must be recovered, regardless. An expensive prospect. People don't like the intrusive nature of drones. Wildlife can be effected in various ways.
Posted by: dzierzak

Re: Drones - 12/20/16 07:23 AM

Yep. Like the guy that dropped one into the Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone.

http://time.com/3088792/drone-yellowstone-park/
Posted by: Flipperfla

Re: Drones - 03/30/21 06:46 PM

DJI , it fits in the palm of your hand. There is also a website B4UFLY that will show you where you can fly legally. National Parks are definitely off limits. Also if it is over a certain weight it will need a permit. Love mine. Opens up a whole new world of photography and videography.