they claim this filters out viruses.

Posted by: toddfw2003

they claim this filters out viruses. - 07/26/16 07:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x07N9x17Po4
Posted by: Dryer

Re: they claim this filters out viruses. - 07/26/16 09:33 PM

Give them a call and ask for a "white paper". Viruses aren't that big a concern in the US. I don't filter short of a bandanna. Treat a liter with a couple drops of bleach and hike on.
Website looks really interesting!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: they claim this filters out viruses. - 07/26/16 09:43 PM

Great advertising, but it's still advertising! I'd want to see some objective third party reviews, and whether the EPA approves this gadget for viruses!

For one thing, a filter fine enough to filter viruses will clog up very quickly. There is no mention of the clogging issue or whether the filter can be unclogged/maintained in the field!

For another, the weight given obviously does not include the bucket or the tubing, so the system is definitely not as light as advertised!

Color me skeptical at this point.

Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: they claim this filters out viruses. - 07/27/16 12:42 AM

Yeah, the website has some cheap gear. I have never ordered from them but I have thought about it. I always filter and treat. I know its double kill but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: they claim this filters out viruses. - 07/27/16 08:36 AM

My daughter bought me a "LifeStraw" last Christmas. I typically don't filter but it is kinda fun to dip the thing in the lake from my kayak and drink away. I'm amazed how well it works and keep it in my day hike stuff. It filters to .02 microns but has almost no resistance when you drink through it. 2 ozs.
http://www.vestergaard.com/our-products/lifestraw
Posted by: ndsol

Re: they claim this filters out viruses. - 07/27/16 10:13 AM

Their report from Biological Consulting Services. No EPA registration that I can see.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: they claim this filters out viruses. - 07/27/16 12:10 PM

In general that type of filter media is effective for bacteria and cysts; viruses take a pore size requiring more pressure than gravity systems provide. (The parallel tubes used by Sawyer et al are more suited to virus removal.)

If it's giving a reliable 5 or 6-log bacteria reduction then it's potentially useful in North America.

Cheers,
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: they claim this filters out viruses. - 07/27/16 01:27 PM

RapidPure filters have been around for a bit now. Roger Caffin tested them for BPL in 2014 and came away impressed. If I was interested in one, I'd buy one from RapidPure directly.