2 way radios

Posted by: bbntbbnt

2 way radios - 08/17/15 10:29 PM

I do a lot of hiking in NW Montana {usually by myself } most are only 5-8 miles total but there is no cell service on 90% on of these hikes. I need some recommendations on the best 2 way radios I could purchase. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: 2 way radios - 08/17/15 11:11 PM

Get at least your technicians class amateur radio license. This will allow you a HUGE number of options that not even commercial radios can match. There is a learning curve, a 35 question FCC exam, you'll gain experience on how radio works, antennas, protocol, etc. there are thousands of amateur radio "repeater" stations free for your use, that will extend range many miles.
There is no "best radio" for what you want, but with a little training, you can create your own workable system.
A satellite phone will allow you to make contact if you want to pay the subscription fee, anywhere in the world. Sat phones can also be rented.
Posted by: the-gr8t-waldo

Re: 2 way radios - 08/18/15 02:42 PM

If your needs are for simple communications...i.e. location and a simple few words, SPOT equipment and service seems the easiest to use. ( not "two way" by any stretch of imagination) I have no experience with it but preloaded messages seems a bit limiting, but doable. and someone can watch your progress on line, without you're having to do anything but enable. these days I believe there's a few other of this type of communications available.
Posted by: Rodrigo

Re: 2 way radios - 10/21/15 09:39 AM

I use Rino 550 garmin's GPS 2 way radio.

Pros:

great GPS
You can easily share your position.
No costs
High potence 0.5, 2 and 5 watts.
Can use AA batery
Text message

Cons:

Cost a lot. Near 1000 Bucks a pair.

Motorola talkabout mr350.

Pros:
Cheap
Use AA batery
Ease To use.
No costs

Cons:

Low potence.
No position sharing.
No text message

Delorme inreach explorer.

Pros:

Use in real emergence.
Global coverage.
2 way messaging
Can use as replace GPS (dont have maps! Only tracklogs)
Real time position sharing.

Cons:

Cost.
Posted by: kd6hul

Re: 2 way radios - 11/06/15 05:21 AM

I have to second the recommendation regarding amateur radio. You don't need to learn morse code, the Technician exam is really pretty easy with a bit of study, and once you have your license, you have access to a HUGE range of options for communications. Most Ham gear is designed for rough use. There's repeaters for your use with handheld radios smaller than an Altoids tin; you can also access Forest Service and Park Service frequencies with that same little HT when in the backcountry for bulletins and communication in an emergency.

Jeff KD6HUL