Waterproof hiking/camping pack

Posted by: moto1

Waterproof hiking/camping pack - 05/04/15 10:05 AM

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for some pack ideas for a trip I'm trying to plan. I'll be out in some swampy areas so being waterproof is a high priority. Part of the trip will be done via canoe and the other will be a hike. I know there are lots of hiking packs out there and also wet/dry backpacks but I havent been able to find anything that can satisfy both functions. I'd like it to have the frame and layout of a hiking bag but also be completely waterproof in case I fall out of the canoe or have to wade through some deep water. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Waterproof hiking/camping pack - 05/04/15 11:37 AM

Search online for the term "packrafting" and I think you might come up with some good ideas in general for this --- not the same as canoeing, but the same issue with the pack anyway.

A couple of pack options to consider (I'm not saying this is a complete list --- I don't know):

ULA Epic
NRS Paragon
Posted by: dylansdad77

Re: Waterproof hiking/camping pack - 05/04/15 01:34 PM

If you aren't hiking long distances, you might just be able to justify the added weight of packing everything into dry bags and using a standard pack. The comfort of the standard pack (I imagine) would be much better than a waterproof pack and your overall costs should also be much lower (assuming you already have a standard backpack).
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Waterproof hiking/camping pack - 05/04/15 02:47 PM

Here's what I'd get: ULA Epic

It's not a traditional packbag, being a roll-top drybag, but the assembled pack will carry identically to a good pack and importantly, ULA has very concise fitting options and know what they're doing.

Seam-sealed traditional packs, of which there are a few, are fine for eternally soggy climates but probably not adequate against actual dunking of any duration.

Cheers,
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Waterproof hiking/camping pack - 05/05/15 06:56 AM

That ULA looks like a perfect solution. My low budget one was to pack everything I wanted to stay into a construction garbage bag pack liner (much heavier than standard kitchen or leaf bags) and rolled the top and held it closed with a strap. Worked well with some care. If you don't have a pack already that ULA looks to be the best of both worlds. I cut the floor out of my packraft and turned it into a light weight packable float tube for fishing, so its the canoe for me. I've also strapped a large dry bag to an old Jansport pack frame. Cumbersome, but carried well.
Posted by: Honas

Re: Waterproof hiking/camping pack - 05/24/15 06:12 AM

I second the ula epic!