Digital Thermometer for BackPacking?

Posted by: dla

Digital Thermometer for BackPacking? - 05/31/11 06:04 PM

I'd like a basic digital thermometer - nice if it would record the highs and lows. Lightweight. Cheap would be nice too smile Any suggestions?
Posted by: james__12345

Re: Digital Thermometer for BackPacking? - 06/01/11 11:25 AM

Go to a pet store, and buy a cheap digital reptile thermometer. I'm not sure if they record highs and lows, but I think they do. Should be around 20 bucks if I remember right.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Digital Thermometer for BackPacking? - 06/01/11 11:37 AM

The high/low recording (cheap) thermometer I have is the Coghlans Time and Temperature Digital Dangler. Mine weighs 27 grams (1.0 oz) with battery.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Digital Thermometer for BackPacking? - 06/01/11 03:55 PM

Campmor has a good price for the High Gear Axio watch , which includes the usual digital watch functions in addition to thermometer and altimeter. As with all wrist watches that record temperature, you need to take it off for about 10 minutes to get an accurate reading without your body's heat interfering. However, don't expect the alarm feature to wake anybody up in the morning (see my thread asking about a LOUD alarm!).

Brian, how loud is the alarm on that Coghlan's thingy?
Posted by: dla

Re: Digital Thermometer for BackPacking? - 06/01/11 05:00 PM

How is it holding up for you? I looked up some reviews on REI and the biggest complaint was durability.

But it is only $10.

Re: Digital Thermometer for BackPacking? - 06/02/11 10:06 PM

How loud is the alarm? I never use the alarm, but I think I might have set it off once in testing, and don't recall it being terribly loud.

I too haven't experienced a loud alarm in a portable device. Fortunately, after I've been on trail a while I find I'm getting up about the same time anyway, so not a problem unless I want to start in the dark on an anticipated hot day.

Re: Digital Thermometer for BackPacking? - 06/02/11 10:07 PM

Durability of the Coghlan unit: dunno, really, but I think it's not bad. I've mostly just carried it on shake-down trips to assess how well my gear is working. In general I don't carry it on trips of any length, but I've carried it for some miles hanging from a pack strap and so far so good.