TIME SENSITIVE-GPS input needed

Posted by: Darwin

TIME SENSITIVE-GPS input needed - 05/23/11 10:38 PM

I've been having a VERY HARD time with my DeLorme PN-60 GPS when hiking. I'm also wanting it for kayaking, but I've only been able to best test it when hiking so far.
It generally has the speed as being too high and the mileage is usually off (For example, It had me down for 5.9 miles, which was correct, but it was for 1hr. 40 min. with the PN-60 saying an average of 5.3 mph. hiking speed, which was wrong.) . This is when hiking in rather dense forest in Bloomington, IN.
The store I purchased it from his given me a couple more days (till 5/23/11) to decide whether I want to keep it.
I'm considering trading it in for a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx.
What's your opinion about my PN-60 problem and about the PN-60 vs. the Garmin GPSMAP76CSx or other Garmins (GPSMAP 78, GPSMAP 78SC, GPSMAP 62, GPSMAP 62S and GPSMAP 62ST)?
I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you. Take care.

Darwin
daroos@indiana.edu
Posted by: jps1021

Re: TIME SENSITIVE-GPS input needed - 05/27/11 04:47 AM

There may just be a problem (bug) in the firmware of your PN-60 unit? I checked the DeLorme site and saw that they are on version 3.2 firmware now.

Can't tell you how to check for the version or how to do the upgrade, being that I use a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. But, little things like that usually are just minor programming errors that somehow slipped through.