Opensource GPS Options

Posted by: billstephenson

Opensource GPS Options - 08/12/10 11:57 AM

My old Garmin eMap died a few weeks ago frown

So now I'll be looking for a replacement. I'll probably buy a used one on eBay.

The thing that most bothered me about my Garmin is that they really didn't support open source maps, like the " Libre Map Project" or photos.

The thing that bothers me about newer GPS units is the color screen is hard to see on most of them and they burn through batteries faster.

Any advice, comments, or experience with these issues or others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
Posted by: TomD

Re: Opensource GPS Options - 08/12/10 11:32 PM

Bill, not sure what you mean by open source, but there are several sites that offer free maps for some areas (mostly the West) for Garmin.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Opensource GPS Options - 08/13/10 03:10 PM

I didn't know that. I thought the only maps you could use with a Garmin were from Garmin.

I have to start reading up on GPS units again. I'm pretty sure that some of the Magellan units allow you to upload your own satellite photos or images of maps. And I think they'll work with my National Geographic "TOPO!" maps. I assume you have to enter 3 sets of lat/longs/ to orient them, but that's pretty easy to do.

Basically what I mean by "Open Source" is the ability to use public domain data, images, and programming tools.

I have a over couple hundred bucks in Garmin maps already, but the old "MapSource TOPO" maps are obsolete now and I don't want to deal with that anymore.

The thing is, I haven't seen a GPS I like as much as my old eMap. I really don't like the eTrex models that much, and the larger units are heavier and use more battery juice than my eMap.

There's also the money thing. They're all so darn expensive. I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks. I'm gun shy on electronic gizmos that just stop working or become obsolete in a few years. If I'm going to go through the trouble of learning how to use one, I want it last for ten years or more. (Like that could ever happen)

I do have to figure it out though. I like having a GPS when I'm bushwhacking around. It's pretty tough to find some spots again without one.

Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Opensource GPS Options - 08/13/10 03:38 PM

I know what you mean. I remember buying a Magellan unit years ago, and when the battery died, about 18 months later, they they wouldn't replace the battery for any fee.

That kind of planned obsolesence drives me nuts!

Posted by: TomD

Re: Opensource GPS Options - 08/13/10 08:59 PM

My Garmin GPSMap76CSx runs on 2 AA batteries, so no problem there. It is about the size of a 10 year old cel phone though, so not a UL item. Got it used cheap, so can't complain a bit. Found it on Craigslist.

Bill, look here for maps-
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

The site has forums and I got some very helpful info from some of the regulars who are very knowledgable. Not sure if any maps are available for where you are, but they have a directory of maps. Some of these might cover your neighborhood.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/mo

I got a map for California and was able to load up a few sectors of it using some software I got from Garmin on their website. I got a new computer so I need to find it again.
Posted by: routerdoubter

Re: Opensource GPS Options - 05/09/11 06:08 PM

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

this is what i've been using for the last few years instead of buying new garmin map cd's. i also use the topos from gpsfiledepot.