Keyhole for cameras

Posted by: kevonionia

Keyhole for cameras - 02/13/09 11:16 AM

Nothing like getting gadget info from an electronically challenged friend. In the USPS mail I received an envelope and inside was a handwritten letter with an enclosed article clipped (with scissors) from the Denver Post. The article and photo were about the Keyhole, a gadget to hold a camera while hiking. And despite getting this info via Pony Express, it looks pretty cool.

I searched on the forum to see if it's been discussed B4, but found nothing on it or the little cottage-industry outfit that sells it.

The key to the product is the keyhole, of course. Gravity keeps the camera at chest height with the weight on the backpack's shoulder straps, not the neck strap. By lifting, the camera comes out of the keyhole and is instantly free for the shot. And the lens-cap-holding strap lets you protect the lens, yet retains the cap while shooting. (And it keeps the lens focus and zoom rings from "spiralling" down while hiking.)

It says it's new. Anyone tried it yet?
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Keyhole for cameras - 02/13/09 02:26 PM

Not bad. While a variation on an existing theme I've not seen a harness that incorporated the pack straps in this fashion. As he notes, a lot of packs don't have this strap configuration, but the majority probably do. I'll add that none of my lenses "creeps" but none is of the push-pull type, so that's a problem I don't have. I'd be interested in an additional plate that attaches to binoculars to extend the system's range.

My reservation is it leaves the camera right where sweat dripping off my face will hit it. I guess I could just sweat less smile
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Keyhole for cameras - 02/13/09 11:23 PM

Rick:

"It leaves the camera right where sweat dripping off my face will hit it. I guess I could just sweat less."

Or you could get one of these -- what is also called an "Elizabethan collar" -- to control the perspiration from falling from chin down onto digital camera.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Keyhole for cameras - 02/14/09 01:53 PM

!!!

I might, if I could convince my wife and kid to not keep throwing peanuts at me grin

p.s. I'm actually thinking about springing for a couple of these to try out:

http://figitalrevolution.com/y-strap/

Originally Posted By kevonionia
Rick:

"It leaves the camera right where sweat dripping off my face will hit it. I guess I could just sweat less."

Or you could get one of these -- what is also called an "Elizabethan collar" -- to control the perspiration from falling from chin down onto digital camera.
Posted by: phat

Re: Keyhole for cameras - 02/14/09 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By kevonionia

Or you could get one of these .

I don't understand the down look.. I'm convinced those things must be awesome. A few years back when the better half and I decided that I would get "fixed" - we had our springer spaniel at the same time so I decide both my dog and I would go in on the same morning to get "fixed" so we could empathize with each other in a male-bonding sort of way... Let's just say the dog with the cone on his head recovered much faster than me, he was happy and chipper and couldn't understand my lying on the couch for a week and not wanting to play ... "look dad - I have a CONE on my head!!!" I wanted to have a cone on my head myself to see if it would make me that chipper about it.