Best lite weight kids pack

Posted by: rockchucker22

Best lite weight kids pack - 11/16/12 08:50 PM

My son who is 9, strong hiker is getting into multi day trips. Currently he uses a rei comet kids pack. While it is pretty good I would still like to minimize his carry weight. Any suggestions are welcome! Oh and I have searched with mixxed results.

Thanks!
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Best lite weight kids pack - 11/16/12 11:01 PM

How about a woman's x-small pack. Adult packs generally are lighter than kids packs.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Best lite weight kids pack - 11/17/12 12:31 AM

If you don't mind butchering creatively trimming the REI Comet, you can get over half a pound off it. I removed the lid, the useless heavy bottom zipper (I sewed the gap closed by hand) and the various decorative gewgaws. Admittedly, the one I whacked at was a discontinued model from the REI Outlet which was only $30.

A few of the "cottage" manufacturers are expanding into the youth pack market, although I suspect your boy will have to grow a little more first. ULA has a youth version of their Circuit backpack with an adjustable torso length, 12" to 17". It's an internal frame pack. The Gossamer Gear Mariposa in size small fits 13" to 16" torso length. It has a removable stay which should be left in for better support and basically makes the pack into an internal frame pack. The Elemental Horizons Kalais is another pack that can come in youth size, and the owner will do some customizing for you. It also has a removable stay (extra) and of course for youth it should be used with the stay for better support. None of the three are particularly cheap (range from $190 to $235 plus shipping), but they are lighter than most other youth packs. If your boy is skinny like my grandkids, the hip belt size may be more of an issue. I haven't tried any of these packs for my grandkids yet. The oldest (13 next spring) has about outgrown his Deuter Fox 30, and I may get him the ULA Circuit if I can persuade his parents to help with the price. Of course sometime in the next few years we can expect him to outgrow everything.... It helps, though, that he has two younger siblings to inherit what he has outgrown.

Re: Best lite weight kids pack - 11/17/12 09:15 AM

Great advice guys thanks! I'll take a look at those packs OM!
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Best lite weight kids pack - 11/19/12 05:40 PM

My 9 yr old (wait, he is 10 now) uses a Kelty Jr tioga. He will probably out grow it around 12 or so.
Posted by: dolomiti

Re: Best lite weight kids pack - 11/21/12 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By finallyME
My 9 yr old (wait, he is 10 now) uses a Kelty Jr tioga. He will probably out grow it around 12 or so.

My 5 year old uses the same. He can do 3 miles with his sleeping bag/pad, assorted gadgets, and some clothes w/o major complaints.
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Best lite weight kids pack - 11/26/12 10:33 PM

My 7 year old is using a Deuter Climber. Once it was adjusted to his size, the 9 year old wanted no parts of it, but I think it would fit her too (the pack was bought for her originally, but she'd rather carry a day pack - she's smart).

Re: Best lite weight kids pack - 11/26/12 11:33 PM

My son and I did a 6 mile 3000 feet vertical gain hike a week ago, he carried his comet pack,haglof bag, tar, jacket, water, Sierra cup. No problems. He keeps asking about the next hike. I'm taking him for 4 days in Nevada next weekend!
Posted by: Average_Joe

Re: Best lite weight kids pack - 05/26/13 08:34 PM

Kind of late to the party, but I bought my son the Jansport Scout on the advice of his Scout Troop.

Reasonably priced, and I can't find a bad thing to say about it. He has asthma, so we're working up to longer hikes, but he did a half mile with a steep ascent all the way, and about a mile and a half flat.