Hiking with your kids - go for it

Posted by: minorth

Hiking with your kids - go for it - 04/06/12 11:14 PM

Just had a great overnight with my two youngest kids. It was a short out and back, about 2.5 miles each day. My son is 9 and my daughter is 11. It was the second time I have taken my son and the first trip for my daughter. The night was cold at 35 degrees but we had warm enough bags and an extra blanket.

I don't have much experience backpacking myself so for me the key is to keep it simple. We went close to home, just a two hour drive to the Manistee National Forest. A short hike, only about 2.5 or 3 miles each day. The terrain was easy but there was natural beauty to keep them interested. We walked past three lakes and camped near a lake. We saw a pair of Bald Eagles on the hike out. Most importantly both kids felt like they accomplished something.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 04/07/12 03:12 AM

Hooray for you and your kids! Anyone who is willing to take his/her kids out is contributing a considerable amount not only to the future of backpacking but to the future of wilderness and keeping kids in touch with the natural world!
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 04/07/12 06:46 AM

Sounds like a perfect trip.

Posted by: finallyME

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 04/17/12 09:47 AM

Excellent. I am planning something similar this summer.
Posted by: Paulo

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 04/21/12 07:42 AM

That's awesome. Memories they can keep forever.

Sounds like a beautiful area too.
Posted by: Backpackhavn

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 12/22/12 12:55 PM

You are doing your kids a big favor to get them to love the outdoors. Some of the best memories I have is camping with my family!
Posted by: ZAPH

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 05/12/14 04:40 AM

That is so cool i have been wanting to get my little nicee and nephew to come with me for a hiking trip. they keep asking me to take them now ill consider it after reading this. thanks
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 05/12/14 04:02 PM

Zaph, welcome! There are lots of great articles on the home page of this site, including an excellent article on backpacking with children by Penny S.
Posted by: wildnfree

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 08/23/18 12:25 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Hiking and camping are great ways for kids to enjoy the natural world and get out of the Nintendos and smart phones.

Keep up your great work!
Posted by: carlj

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 11/11/19 07:41 AM

Never tried hiking with my son before.