Hiking with your kids - go for it

Posted by: minorth

Hiking with your kids - go for it - 04/06/12 11:14 PM

Just had a great overnight with my two youngest kids. It was a short out and back, about 2.5 miles each day. My son is 9 and my daughter is 11. It was the second time I have taken my son and the first trip for my daughter. The night was cold at 35 degrees but we had warm enough bags and an extra blanket.

I don't have much experience backpacking myself so for me the key is to keep it simple. We went close to home, just a two hour drive to the Manistee National Forest. A short hike, only about 2.5 or 3 miles each day. The terrain was easy but there was natural beauty to keep them interested. We walked past three lakes and camped near a lake. We saw a pair of Bald Eagles on the hike out. Most importantly both kids felt like they accomplished something.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 04/07/12 03:12 AM

Hooray for you and your kids! Anyone who is willing to take his/her kids out is contributing a considerable amount not only to the future of backpacking but to the future of wilderness and keeping kids in touch with the natural world!
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 04/07/12 06:46 AM

Sounds like a perfect trip.

Posted by: finallyME

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 04/17/12 09:47 AM

Excellent. I am planning something similar this summer.
Posted by: Paulo

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 04/21/12 07:42 AM

That's awesome. Memories they can keep forever.

Sounds like a beautiful area too.
Posted by: Backpackhavn

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 12/22/12 12:55 PM

You are doing your kids a big favor to get them to love the outdoors. Some of the best memories I have is camping with my family!
Posted by: ZAPH

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 05/12/14 04:40 AM

That is so cool i have been wanting to get my little nicee and nephew to come with me for a hiking trip. they keep asking me to take them now ill consider it after reading this. thanks
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hiking with your kids - go for it - 05/12/14 04:02 PM

Zaph, welcome! There are lots of great articles on the home page of this site, including an excellent article on backpacking with children by Penny S.