Kids are a lot tougher than you think

Posted by: Swimswithtrout

Kids are a lot tougher than you think - 10/03/09 10:47 PM

I'm a grandfather now, but these are a few shots of my kids way deep in the Wind Rivers.

Mid way on a 120 mi thru trip

And some earlier trips to the Wind's

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Kids are a lot tougher than you think - 10/04/09 01:16 AM

Aren't the Wind Rivers spectacular? Heaven on earth, IMHO, despite the "interesting" weather.

My parents took me there when I was 9. I've been back a couple of times trying to recreate the experience; hopefully next summer I can make up for what I missed last summer with a sick dog. Maybe I'll take my grandson who will be 10!

Beautiful pictures! Thank you!
Posted by: Liquid Sunshine

Re: Kids are a lot tougher than you think - 10/05/09 07:02 AM

Great pictures, looks like great trips!

It's very encouraging to see that there are others who do or have done what we're starting to do now - no matter what age the children are.

Don't listen to the naysayers!

Cheers,

Matt
Posted by: dolomiti

Re: Kids are a lot tougher than you think - 10/10/09 09:16 AM

I agree. Kids are tough. Mine is at the awkward stage between being too heavy to pack, but still too small to walk long distances by himself. Maybe when he gets 6 or so.
Posted by: LostOutrider

Re: Kids are a lot tougher than you think - 03/06/10 06:54 AM

When my oldest boy was 4, I'd take him on 3 to 4 mile hikes and expect to carry him on my shoulders for the last mile or half-mile. He is 5 now and after a growth spurt, has graduated to a waist-pack that can carry his snacks, a quart of water, and whatever gear he wants to bring (usually a head-lamp for caving and a walkie-talkie and whistle for if he gets lost). In another year or two, I'll let him carry a small pack on overnights.
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Kids are a lot tougher than you think - 03/06/10 10:06 PM

I'd agree - with Ford I saw in him that he had an energy/toughness level that many kids didn't have - so I exploited it. The summer he was 4 I started him on harder hikes and by end of that summer he had been on many 10+ mile hikes often with 2-3K of elevation gain. I never carried him (I couldn't!) and he always had a pack on.
He started backpacking with me the next year and by 7 had done trips with up to 18 miles in a 24 hour period.

Is that for all kids? No! But if you get a natural hiker, take it for all you can get wink

Ford is 12 now, considerably taller than me and can out hike me. Not a bad place to be!
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Kids are a lot tougher than you think - 03/08/10 12:22 AM

I started serious camping with my son when he was 10 years old as a Webelos Scout. He is now a Life Scout and should earn his Eagle in the next 3 months. He's very skilled in the woods and I would take him backpacking anywhere now. He's done a 70 mile hike at Philmont and done 100+ canoe trip in the BWCA. His remaining goal is to do tall ship sailing in the Caribbean.

Two weekends ago we did a 23 mile hike in a day (it was a killer).

He's 16 years old now, taller than me and put on 19 pounds since his last check up 6 months ago.

If he didn't have the outdoors, he'd go insane!
Posted by: CamperHiker

Re: Kids are a lot tougher than you think - 04/08/10 03:18 PM

Wind Rivers huh? that looks amazing, maybe I'll have to make a trip. I was near there a few years ago, I should have made it a camping trip.

Re: Kids are a lot tougher than you think - 04/22/10 05:40 PM

Tango is right with his signature
"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you can't. Either way, you're right. "