Filtration

Posted by: Dino

Filtration - 06/18/14 08:11 PM

Hi everyone,
I just got a Katadyn Hiker Pro water filtration system as a Father's Day gift. I've read the reviews and I'm really anxious to try it next month in Yosemite.

My question: I already know it wont filter viruses, but how common are viruses in the Yosemite waters? I know filtering from a flowing source is better than a standing one, but does anyone have any knowledge about if there are viruses? I know boiling and purifying tablets are always an option, but I really don't want to deal with the taste or the time it takes to boil. If viruses have been passed in Yosemite, then yeah of course, but how common is that?
Posted by: aimless

Re: Filtration - 06/18/14 08:29 PM

Rest easy. You should have no trouble with viruses in the water of Yosemite NP.

Re: Filtration - 06/18/14 08:46 PM

Thanks, Aimless!
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Filtration - 06/18/14 09:55 PM

Agreed, not an issue there. It's a very good filter and has a very high flow rate. Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

Re: Filtration - 06/20/14 10:45 PM

Thanks, Rick! Hope to. Introducing my 7 year old to backpacking. This ought to be interesting!
Posted by: intrek38

Re: Filtration - 06/21/14 09:39 AM

If you haven't already, make sure you run a few liters though to flush out the residue that comes with the filter before your trip. At least that is what happened to me. Nothing like a bunch a grey gue in the platty to start out a trip. Other then that, it's a great filter. Enjoy your trip...
Posted by: aimless

Re: Filtration - 06/21/14 02:23 PM

That advice to run a few liters through is included with the instructions for the filter, but not everyone reads or heeds instructions. In this case, it's worth it. The gray goo is just caused by dust that rinses out of the activated charcoal. It's quickly washed out and then you're good to go.