Hiking at night - is it safe?

Posted by: Gershon

Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/02/14 10:47 PM

Are there any special hazards hiking at night using a headlamp? This would be on trails I know, so there wouldn't be much danger of falling or getting lost. I'd wear safety glasses.

Is a person more likely to get eaten by a mountain lion or something? We don't have many mosquitoes here, so that won't be a problem.

Thanks.
Gershon
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/02/14 11:46 PM

It's been years but we use to do a full moon hike several times every summer. It was awesome, beautiful weather, nice cool hiking, different animals out. Now I'm too much a creature of habit and need my regular sleep hours! I would worry about animals any worse than during the day. If a lion is going to get you, he's going to get you!

Once in the Sespe we hiked till about 11:00pm one warm night and had dinner on a rock in the middle of the river when we heard a terrible crashing coming from the brush. After a few seconds a bear comes crashing out about a hundred yards up stream. The animal runs as fast as I've ever seen a bear run, up the other side, right into the bush, crashing, breaking, tearing as long as we could hear. The bear didn't really frighten me, but the thought of what scared the bear. The funny thing is I don't think the bear even knew we where there.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/03/14 11:35 AM

I think it's safe, but that certainly varies by the location, season, and individual. I wouldn't worry particularly about the big cats; unless you're a relatively small person who acts like prey, the odds seem quite good to me, day or night.
If you want to worry about an animal, in some locales snakes will sometimes be out more at night, but ... so what?

I think the biggest risks to night hiking are falling, taking the wrong turn at a trail junction, missing an important water source, that sort of thing. And of messing with your sleep cycle. It can be a truly excellent way to cope with hot weather.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/03/14 11:50 AM

Yup, with a clear trail and good signage there's little reason to avoid it, at least in the high country. I'm amazed how much you can see even by starlight.

Cheers
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/03/14 01:00 PM

I've hiked at night many times since LED headlamps came about, most of it bushwhacking in thick forest.

I've noticed more water moccasins out while night hiking. They do tend to cruise the stream banks more then, especially in areas where there's lot's of vegetation. I suppose the copperheads might be out more then. I almost never see them but a couple years ago we had 9 people bit after dark in one weekend around here. All of them stepped on the snake, most were in their own yard, none were out hiking.

Other than that, I can't say I've noticed anymore wildlife out and about.

I've never got or worried about getting lost but I tend to use the terrain to navigate night or day and I usually only hike a few miles at most during night hikes.

One time I did have a bit of trouble finding my car at night after bushwhacking all day. I knew I was close, even had it way pointed on my GPS, but it was parked in thick brush and it took me a bit to find it.
Posted by: DJ2

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/03/14 04:57 PM

The last night hike I was on convinced me to not do it unless I have to.

I jumped a bear in the brush at very close quarters. He ran.

I encountered a skunk walking toward me with his tail up. I ran.

I stepped onto what I thought was a grass covered meadow but it was a swamp covered in some type of green growth. I went in up to my waist before scrambling out.

I almost sat down on two adult rattlesnakes who were sleeping at the base of a tree. There were also a half dozen more around my feet who were babies.

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/03/14 07:03 PM

That's not a hike, that's a Warner Brothers cartoon!

Cheers,

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/03/14 07:15 PM

That was all in one night? Damn!

I know you're serious, but that sounds like a movie script for a trip from hell cry
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/03/14 10:31 PM

My personal preference is NOT to hike at night unless it's winter and full moon is upon me! I don't backpack in summer months very often.. I ride mountain bikes a lot in summer at night to escape the heat, again this is due to geographic region. Humidity in the southeast is, um, very...fun?? Hiking at night will cause paranoia in me, and that it just me. Hike your own hike!
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/03/14 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By DJ2
The last night hike I was on convinced me to not do it unless I have to.

I jumped a bear in the brush at very close quarters. He ran.

I encountered a skunk walking toward me with his tail up. I ran.

I stepped onto what I thought was a grass covered meadow but it was a swamp covered in some type of green growth. I went in up to my waist before scrambling out.

I almost sat down on two adult rattlesnakes who were sleeping at the base of a tree. There were also a half dozen more around my feet who were babies.

F all of this! I don't want baby rattlesnakes coiled around me, nor fight a bear in a bush!! At least in day time I can find ways to prevent this..... Shame I'm not nocturnal.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/04/14 02:00 AM

I used to scuba dive at night-a lot, so not being able to see very far doesn't bother me all that much. Yosemite at night in the winter is pretty amazing. I wouldn't go wandering around near the rim, but up along Glacier Point Road, or even walking around on the Valley floor, as long as you stick to the trails or out in the meadows, you cant get too lost or fall off of anything high.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/04/14 08:51 AM

Night dives are a blast, especially under a full moon. This gives you some stealth around coral heads. Photo flashes pick up extra color and it's not as dark as one might think.

Hiking at night is also a lot of fun. Not much out there that can hurt you and I never hike with a light on. I sometimes do rounds in my nature preserve at night. Funny story though, another hiker was coming at me from the opposite way, stopped when I stopped, waved when I waved, and turned out to be my shadow backlit from a a streetlight that peeked through the trees. Gave me a bit of a scare but funny later.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/04/14 02:58 PM

Our senses, especially eyesight, are not well-adapted to nighttime and darkness, so that even a good LED headlamp can't make up for that. Any time you're hiking in the dark you'll be getting a lot less visual information about what's in your vicinity. Unless you are accustomed to night sounds, your ears will not be delivering much info to fill in those gaps. You'll hear things, but not know what it means. So, compared to daylight, you're half-blind. That's the bad news.

The good news is that most wildlife consider us alpha predators, so their senses, which are much better attuned to darkness, will tell them we are DANGER. That gives us an edge as we blunder around in the dark and helps keep us safe.

Personally, I prefer hiking with all my senses operating at full capacity, but I admit I have done some full moon hiking, just for the novelty and eerie beauty of it. Just be aware that other alphas love full moons, too and are extra active then.

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/04/14 07:15 PM

We did go on a night hike this weekend. With an LED head lamp, it was about the same difficulty as a day hike. I think the biggest danger on an unfamiliar trail would be taking a wrong turn.

One thing I noticed is how much dust was kicked up by hiking. Makes a person think on a trail where horses are common.

Going up hills was easier at night since we didn't see how steep we were climbing.

Unfortunately, the videos were all dark, but I did take one picture.

Posted by: bluefish

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/04/14 07:32 PM

When I was younger and even more impatient than I am now, I use to leave for trips on Friday nights on a regular basis. Sometimes the hike wouldn't start until midnight. With much practice, I had little fear. Maybe not a good thing, but nothing bad has ever occurred, with the exception of losing where the tent was for a few hours one night after setting up and going for water. I got very use to trusting my balance and reading the shadows. I still do it occasionally, but my wife really does not like it. I use to hike in Death , Saline and Eureka Valleys at night and loved it. My wife and I have done a long night hike In Joshua Tree NP. I was challenged by a wild stallion one moonlit night east of Mono Lake. I never saw the band of mares, but they must have been in a nearby arroyo. Was I intimidated? I didn't stop shaking for an hour.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/04/14 08:52 PM

Hiking at night is different. You should start small and gain experience at first. You should also practice no-headlamp night hiking. I really think in some conditions you see more because a headlamp ruins your night vision. I personally would never hike at night if it were overcast. Moonlight makes big difference. I am not nocturnal- just staying awake would be a problem for me! I also notice that as my eyes age the adjust to dark a lot slower than when I was younger. I doubt night hiking is in my future.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/05/14 03:39 AM

Dryer, one of the few things that would freak me out was seeing big moray eels at night. They weren't particularly bothersome, but I just really don't like them. We usually had three lights on us, including a small backup. Full moon was definitely the best time of the month.

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/05/14 07:11 AM

Originally Posted By Gershon
Going up hills was easier at night since we didn't see how steep we were climbing.

grin

Originally Posted By W_D
You should also practice no-headlamp night hiking. I really think in some conditions you see more because a headlamp ruins your night vision....I also notice that as my eyes age the adjust to dark a lot slower than when I was younger. I doubt night hiking is in my future.

I think my night vision went kaput after welding for 18 years. I've continued to get even older since which hasn't improved it any either.

I often wear a baseball cap when using a headlamp. The bill keeps the light from shining in your eyes so they dilate better. It makes a pretty big difference for me.

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/05/14 08:32 AM

Tom, we always have a couple lights each but try to keep them off if the moon was out. Eels and groupers are like the big puppy dogs of the deep. Actually very gentle critters unless you present your hand like "food". Morays have really bad eyesight, so fingers look like tasty hot dogs to them. What used to creep me out was....100% of the time....looking over my shoulder and seeing a barracuda enjoying the dive with me. I've never heard of anyone getting bit by one but their toothy presence is always there.

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/05/14 08:45 AM

Quote:
You should also practice no-headlamp night hiking. I really think in some conditions you see more because a headlamp ruins your night vision.

Amen! Keeping the light off allows your eyes to become dark adapted, which takes about 30 minutes from the last time you saw white light. At least carry a RED led light if you must use a light. Red won't effect night vision. Once you get past the creepy factor, night hiking is fun, cooler in summer, and you'll likely make sense of your surroundings better. Practice makes perfect as there is always a heightened "cautiousness" when hiking at night. Night hiking can be peaceful, mysterious, and exciting all at the same time.
Using a headlight, any color, tends to give you tunnel vision, causing you to focus all your attention on the beam and not what's around you. Keep the thing off unless you really need to see, and use RED instead of white.

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/05/14 10:21 AM

If you are planning to use a red light, don't draw your map in red marker. It used to be fun to watch student pilots do this. Their map would disappear under red light.

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/05/14 02:50 PM

I don't have a particular reason other than time, but I can tell my night vision isn't what it once was, especially driving on rainy nights with oncoming traffic. Yuck.

Having done some research, I found you should wear the darkest sunglasses possible, as being in sunlight affects your dark vision that night. (Pilots who will be night-flying, sailors on night watch, etc. have guidelines about this.) Chemical changes occur in the eye when exposed to light, and our color vision is most accute in the yellow-green portion of the spectrum (think green fire trucks). Even a minute with a flashlight can affect night vision the next hour or two. I try to make my nighttime pitstops without a light to avoid that--the stars are usually worth watching during the unwanted trip outside my bag.

Programmable headlamps with discrete red mode and a low white mode you set yourself are my preference. A switchable spot/flood beam is likewise helpful and I want a light that switches on to the last mode used--I close my eyes when switching on common lights that always start on highest setting (I swear they do that to make them impressive in the store.)

I use the Petzl Tixxa XP with Li-ion Core battery (now discontinued). The battery has regulation circuitry and the white high/low settings are programmable (using a PC at home). It also has a diffuser lens that turns the spot beam into a flood. When walking after dark I start with no light, then red, then white low and usually only call on the high setting when scouting into the distance or navigating a tricky bit.

And on that last, the ability to hike at night is hugely impacted by the terrain and quality of the trail. A typically rocky Sierra path is often indistinct and criss-crossed with game and horse trails, and adds the thrill of a potential rolled ankle or worse. If it's a 1.5 mph trail during the day, it's at best 0.5 mph at night (plan accordingly). OTOH a clear tread across an alpine meadow usually won't require any added light whatsoever.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/05/14 06:29 PM

Safe? Depends on where you are hiking. Here in the Columbia River Gorge, with steep trails on cliffsides, it is awfully easy to get to the end of a switchback, not see it and keep walking walk right off the cliff. That's especially true because there's usually a path to the cliff edge from people wanting a view. Certainly a slower pace and a lot of caution are indicated.
Posted by: bobito9

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/05/14 07:36 PM

just to put my 2 cents in, I really like night hiking, but I prefer it w/o using a flashlight, under an open sky where you know you can get some star or moonlight (forests are too dark and too much tripping hazard). Also, if you're hiking in park areas that are near urban areas, you can end up with quite a bit of spillover light pollution that helps.
Lastly, I use to love night hiking with my dog. She could tell where the trail was regardless, knew I wanted to follow it, and I'd just listen to the jingle of her tags when I was in doubt. Of course, following her once led me into a full-force face blast by a skunk. Luckily I wasn't backpacking!
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/06/14 01:22 PM

I don't think twice about night summer camping locally...

<giggles> Oh wait that is because it doesn't GET dark... May 16th is the start of no true dark (the darkest it will get is "civil twilight".)

Sorry I just had to say it. cool
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/06/14 02:47 PM

As I said, it depends on where you are! I spent a week in northern Norway in June some years back, and basically time sort of stopped, with the sun up 24 hours a day!

There's a reason a light source is no longer one of the "ten" essentials above the Arctic Circle in midsummer!

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/06/14 03:17 PM

My first thought, the first time I experienced "no dark" in Canada was "hey...I could mow the lawn at 2 a.m.!" grin

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/06/14 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

There's a reason a light source is no longer one of the "ten" essentials above the Arctic Circle in midsummer!

Just make #10 a sleep mask, I guess. :-)

cheers,

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 05/06/14 09:22 PM

Or, you can try hiking the "old way", as in before electric lights. My wife's grandmother (died at 94) was a backwoods gal who used to walk through the 'holler' to the neighbors (couple miles) with a coal oil lantern IF they had fuel to spare, but the light of the moon was her guide, usually. They didn't walk around with torches like in the movies. I've tried hiking with a candle lantern but put it out because my hand got hot. grin
Back then, light was expensive! Star and moonlight was free and no one knew to miss LED headlamps and such. Go out and night navigate the old way. Dark didn't stop anyone from moving around.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 06/12/14 01:15 PM

The town where I live has a short but nice urban trail that manages to not be too urban. I've been tempted to hike it at night many times, but by far the most dangerous animal around is people. I'm always worried I'll come up on some meth head hiding his stash or something. I have been out on it a few times in the dark, but never too late or too long. Shame too, because there's lots of wildlife right here in town: owls, raccoons, lots of deer, etc. Just think about the dangers of your particular area and exercise due caution.

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 06/13/14 08:41 AM

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
The town where I live has a short but nice urban trail that manages to not be too urban. I've been tempted to hike it at night many times, but by far the most dangerous animal around is people. I'm always worried I'll come up on some meth head hiding his stash or something. I have been out on it a few times in the dark, but never too late or too long. Shame too, because there's lots of wildlife right here in town: owls, raccoons, lots of deer, etc. Just think about the dangers of your particular area and exercise due caution.

I often hike a stretch of an urban trail at night. Along the way, I wonder if coyotes eat people. So far, they haven't. Truthfully, I'm most afraid of being hassled by the police at night while road walking. They have slowed several times, and a sheriff stopped one time, and then drove on without talking to me. Someone in my HOA complained because I often walk around with a pack. They say I look homeless. People...sighs. How else am I supposed to carry groceries home?

Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 06/13/14 12:53 PM

About 20 years ago there was a cross country ski trail near my house. I frequently went on it about 9:00 PM. It was about a 1 hour loop. Several times there was a police cruiser waiting for me when I got back. They never talked to me once they saw that I was on skis. It was near the runway of the airport so there was enough light to see if you knew where the trail went. It was a very enjoyable exercise. There were a few homeless folks camping in the area but they were long term and everyone knew about them and they never bothered anyone.
Posted by: Southcove

Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? - 03/06/15 10:59 AM

Most of us have probably night hiked to get into an area or site that we couldn't get to because of the drive time to the woods...(for us sometimes the only way to make a weekend trip worthwhile the drive time and gas $$$) LED lights are gamechangers. In NYS where we frequently camp year round, you are legal as long as you are 150+ feet away from a lake or stream, so lots of little night hikes to go check out the water, the stars, getting away from the campfire. Surprising at times how few lumens you need, but other times, how many just to stay on the trail.

Safe,yes; just a bit more concentration/planning is needed.