How much water can I treat at once

Posted by: PerryMK

How much water can I treat at once - 03/06/12 09:08 AM

Most of the chemical treatments talk about 'per liter'. Does this necessarily mean that one can treat 2 or 4 liters at a time? Or should one stick to treating 1 liter a a time. I did a search a found one mention of treating 2 liters at a time.

My reason is this. I have a trip to Peru/Machu Picchu planned for later this year. Apparently the tap water is not safe to drink and plastic bottle pollution is a real problem. So I would like to minimize the number of plastic bottles of water I purchase and bring along or purchase a 1 or 2 gallon jug. I figure I could use tap water, drop in the 4 or 8 (treat 1 or 2 gal) chemical tablets and I should be well stocked with safe water by morning.

I emailed Katadyn but haven't heard back yet.

So does anyone know if 2 gallons can be treated at a time?

Thanks
Posted by: BZH

Re: How much water can I treat at once - 03/06/12 11:19 AM

I am not an expert, but I don't see why not. Chemical treatment is about a certain concentration of the chemical for certain length of time.

Red cross emergency water treatment lists the amount of chlorine per gallon and shows you how to scale accordingly:

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/m...00089f0870aRCRD

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: How much water can I treat at once - 03/06/12 11:26 AM

The only issue I see is that the pills will sink to the bottom so you may have to shake the continer a few times during treatment to disperse the chemical.
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: How much water can I treat at once - 03/06/12 06:05 PM

According to Katadyn , go ahead and add 4 tablets to a gallon.

I ask as some things don't work in larger or smaller quantity. Now I know this works in the range I will use it.
Posted by: ndwoods

Re: How much water can I treat at once - 04/23/12 12:16 AM

You can do gallons at a time with a MIOX ....
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: How much water can I treat at once - 04/23/12 03:27 PM

I've done a 3-liter container at a time, with, of course, 3 tablets. No evidence, of course, that it worked ("I never got sick" is not evidence!). However, as W_D suggests, I did shake the container several times during the treatment period.