Backpacking with a chronic illness

Posted by: smallsc111

Backpacking with a chronic illness - 03/04/12 08:31 PM

Hello all,

I have what may be a rather different question as my first post. I am an Eagle Scout and always enjoyed hiking and high adventure camping. In 2005 I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. This is a chronic disorder similar to Crohn's disease that attacks the lining of the large intestine causing bleeding. To relate this to more people it is like having giardia with no cure only remission. I really want to go backpacking again but it is rather difficult for me because of this. Does anybody have the same problem and how did you conquer it?

Thanks,

MC
Posted by: immortal.ben

Re: Backpacking with a chronic illness - 03/09/12 01:03 PM

It does not look as if any people on this board have to deal with your situation.

I would begin by asking what is your method of treatment when your symptoms flare. Then figure out how bad you could expect a particularly bad flare to be.

Then decide if you could treat that bad flare while on the trail and not place yourself or anyone else in undue danger.

Also, go ahead and discuss this with your doctor, as I am sure he/she will have something to say about it.
Posted by: awesomeame

Re: Backpacking with a chronic illness - 03/10/12 10:56 AM

Hey! I would say it really depends on what your symtoms are, and how quickly you flare up. When I had UC, some of my symtoms were joint pain which would show within a day. This could potentially be dangerous if you're far from your car-not being able to get back. I also remember that before a flare you just start to feel like crap, but then it would take a couple days before being in a full flare.

If I were you I would just start with a few weekend one-night stays to build your confidence level up. UC isn't life-ending, and what limits you is all in your head. If you want to go far in the back country, bring someone along if you're worried. Or bring a satalite phone. Stress is the worst thing for UC as far as I'm concerned....like I hated car camping because you always have to get to a bathroom...in the backcountry you just go wherever, so wayyy less stress there...no one else is around! I much prefer it. Also be realistic-how often does a flare up ACTUALLY happen? I went years without...and the only time I had really bad flares was when my diet was shit and I was stressed out. If I ate healthy-no processed anything and high fat, and had little stress, I felt much better and had little/no issues.

There is a cure for UC btw, it just costs you $60k, and $3k/yr thereafter for the rest of your life. But you'll be pain and med free, and able to do anything...so think about that. I have no regrets.

You should check out http://www.healingwell.com/community

Matt