Arkansas hiker dies on trail

Posted by: billstephenson

Arkansas hiker dies on trail - 09/28/11 01:37 PM

Happened last Saturday. Made it ten miles. He was just 28 years old with no history of medical problems according to the report. Very sad...

Link to report.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Arkansas hiker dies on trail - 10/02/11 11:00 AM

This reminds me of young athletes who collapse at sporting events. Even being close to emergency facilities does not help. It is sad when a young person dies so suddenly. But I think the news article is a little over the top. Be prepared by taking a "hiking stick"? Give me a break! I think this is a case where it would not have mattered if the person were 2 miles or 10 miles from the trailhead. Most of these cases end up being caused by an unknown and undiagnosed medical condition. The message here maybe should be to keep current on your annual physicals and pay attention to small "messages" your body is trying to give you. Youth does not automatically guarentee freedom from medical conditions.
Posted by: ohiohiker

Re: Arkansas hiker dies on trail - 10/07/11 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Be prepared by taking a "hiking stick"? Give me a break!

Hey, don't forget the snacks!!! crazy
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Arkansas hiker dies on trail - 10/08/11 01:22 PM

The message here maybe should be to keep current on your annual physicals and pay attention to small "messages" your body is trying to give you. Youth does not automatically guarentee freedom from medical conditions.

I wonder if it might have been related to overexertion, which can certainly trigger problems that otherwise may have never been realized.

I think that pop culture advertisements like "Just Do It" and "No Fear" encourage people to ignore those little messages your body tries to send you. They imply that if you do ignore them, and you just keep pushing yourself harder, you can do amazing things. That 20-30 age group has grown up with that BS.

Ten miles on Ozark and Ouchita Mountain trails is a tough day for even seasoned hikers. I've never even attempted it. Maybe that's because I come from the "Take it Easy" age group.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Arkansas hiker dies on trail - 10/09/11 11:56 AM

This reminds me of young athletes who collapse at sporting events. Even being close to emergency facilities does not help. It is sad when a young person dies so suddenly. But I think the news article is a little over the top. Be prepared by taking a "hiking stick"? Give me a break! I think this is a case where it would not have mattered if the person were 2 miles or 10 miles from the trailhead. Most of these cases end up being caused by an unknown and undiagnosed medical condition. The message here maybe should be to keep current on your annual physicals and pay attention to small "messages" your body is trying to give you. Youth does not automatically guarentee freedom from medical conditions.

Daisy--the person quoted about the hiking stick was just another tourist/hiker on the trail. And she did only speak for herself...