Bear Vault Fails Again

Posted by: TomD

Bear Vault Fails Again - 07/25/09 03:21 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/nyregion/25bear.html?hp

Now we just have to wait until their approval is revoked, again. It looks like BV's business model relies on selling you a new one every few months to replace the designs that fail.

I've got an original one with the replacement lid that isn't good for parts of the Sierra anymore. Good thing I haven't replaced it yet as these newer models will no doubt lose their certification as soon as this story gets around.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Bear Vault Fails Again - 07/25/09 10:02 AM

Actually, this bear has been opening Bear Vaults in the Marcy Dam area of the Adirondacks for several years, as mentioned in the story, and Bear Vaults haven't been allowed there. Evidently it has taken this long for the NY Times to get the word. I'm fairly sure that I first read about the Marcy Dam bear on this site!

It just proves my long-standing contention that, in the long term, bears are smarter than inventors of bear-proof containers!
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Bear Vault Fails Again - 07/25/09 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By TomD

Now we just have to wait until their approval is revoked, again. It looks like BV's business model relies on selling you a new one every few months to replace the designs that fail.

In all fairness to Bear Vault, they replaced my old non-approved (in certain areas) canister with a brand new BV 350 at no charge. Not just a lid, a brand new canister. That was 2006. I have now been using that fully approved canister for 3 years.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Bear Vault Fails Again - 07/25/09 02:19 PM

I talked to someone at REI a while back who told me they wouldn't take mine back. I have a feeling that is incorrect but I haven't pressed the point, yet.
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Bear Vault Fails Again - 07/25/09 03:07 PM

BV replaced mine free of charge at a ranger station, not a store. The REI employee was partially correct.

In '06 BV began a free exchange program in areas where they had lost approval. The local ranger stations (in my case the interagency visitor center in Lone Pine) were stocked with replacements. Anyone drawing a permit for the specific areas where approval had been rescinded was given a free exchange. This exchange program is still in effect and is explained on the BV website.

The free exchange program is limited in scope. But the relatively small, specific areas where the BV lost approval are also small in scope. Anyone traveling outside those areas doesn't need the new model. The older original BV's are still fully approved in almost all areas. Quoting the website:
"There are currently no restrictions on the use of these model BearVaults elsewhere in SIBBG controlled areas- they can be used throughout the Sierras and all other locations."

As a side note, most if not all of the failures that resulted in the partial ban of older models took place within the confines of Kings Canyon National Park. Yet the park's website mentions no distinction between the 350 (approved everywhere) model and the older models that are not approved for certain areas within the park.
Posted by: intrek38

Re: Bear Vault Fails Again - 07/26/09 01:04 PM

I had my BV200 replaced with the BV500 earlier this year by a BV dealer located somewhere in Sandiego. Will use it in a couple weeks for the first time so hopefully the JMT bears are slower learners....
Posted by: lori

Re: Bear Vault Fails Again - 07/26/09 04:58 PM

I've had a BV350/400 for about a year... the lid sometimes screws off without needing the tab pressed in. I emailed about getting just a new lid, and they asked for my address. I was expecting to pay a small amount but I guess they're going to replace it.

I've used my canister in Yosemite and Sequoia, and a few times in other wilderness areas, and strange to say it's never been played with (knock on wood). We are going up to Thousand Island Lake in a week so I am renting a Bearikade. I hear the bears are pretty bad up there.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Bear Vault Fails Again - 07/26/09 05:29 PM

I had mine replaced for free too --- I met the owner at the PCT kickoff event last spring, and he and his crew were really nice folks. If you look at the specifics of this situation, they've got a great product with specific advantages that they're aggressive about improving anytime a problem occurs.

It's true the old tried & true black Garcia model isn't failing anywhere, but the areas of failure for the also widely used BV are quite small. Rae Lakes caused one upgrade, and now this one bear colony somewhere else. Period, as far as I know. And at a similar price point to the Garcia (Bearikade is much more expensive) the bearvault models make it a lot easier to pack the can with a wider opening, clear plastic body, and not having to worry about finding a coin or similar tool whenever you want to open the can, plus the BV models are waterproof --- after standing my Garcia upright in the rain one time I quickly learned to leave it upside down if rain was possible, but I also suspect that the threaded cap design of the BV means not just keeping rain out but letting less odors escape.

I don't mean to be a major BV apologist here, but I've been happy and still am happy with mine, and again --- I felt their customer service was outstanding, and I always like to see that sort of thing rewarded.
Posted by: lori

Re: Bear Vault Fails Again - 07/26/09 07:27 PM

I don't think the BV is waterproof. If ants make their way into mine, I'm betting that a dip in the lake would make for a swim to retrieve my food. It's probably rainproof, as rain generally falls rather than climbs.
Posted by: sarbar

Something to consider - 07/26/09 11:21 PM

None of the canisters sold are "bear proof". They are "animal resistant".
In nearly all cases a bear will give up and find something easier - the issue being in a bear that learns how to get around it. That behavior can and does get shared to the offspring.

Keeping a clean camp and scaring off bears is something that we shouldn't forget how to do - even with canisters. We must not let a bored bear sit there and have the time to figure out how the food jug works......
Posted by: intrek38

Re: Something to consider - 07/27/09 11:32 AM

Well if I was a bear knowing what I know, I would be one fat bear... I'll stick with my BV for now, and it nice to know they still back up there product...
Posted by: klw2

Re: Something to consider - 12/23/09 07:38 AM

Anyone try the Counter Assault Bear Keg ?
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Something to consider - 12/28/09 05:17 PM

Not yet but did read the reviews. I am interested too but wow 3.5 POunds plus, it is heavy!
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Something to consider - 12/29/09 02:27 PM

Yeah, I'd use a Bearvault too, so long as it's approved. Other canisters may be stronger, but I think being able to see inside it is awesome.
Posted by: CamperHiker

Re: Bear Vault Fails Again - 04/22/10 06:21 PM

With bears involved, where there is a will there is a way, and bears always have a will toward food.