guy lines on poncho tarp

Posted by: Heber

guy lines on poncho tarp - 08/06/08 09:04 AM

I been rained on a lot while hiking this summer (been a wet year here in the midwest) and I've been toying with my rain gear/shelter set up. I got a poncho tarp that I like pretty well. It fits over me and my pack and keeps my upper body dry. Now so far I haven't used it for shelter on the trail. That's because for the summer I've been using a hammock and the poncho is not quite big enough to cover a hammock. This fall and winter I may do more ground camping though so I may try it for shelter in connection with a bivy.

My question is what to do with the guylines for a poncho-tarp. For my other tarps I just keep the guy lines tied to the tarp all the time (and carefully wrapped up to avoid tangling) so when I go to set it up it's ready to go. But with a poncho-tarp I will sometimes be hiking while wearing it. Obviously I don't want my guy lines trailing behind me while I hike. What do poncho-tarp users do? I can imagine keeping the guy lines separate from the tarp and taking them out when I need them. But that involves a lot of tying/untying everytime you set up or take down. Or I can imagine keeping the guylines on the poncho all the time but tied up in a bundle at the tie-out points.

Anyone want to weigh in on the best strategy?

Heber
Posted by: Pika

Re: guy lines on poncho tarp - 08/06/08 09:43 AM

I bought several of the plastic key snap hooks like they use on clothing and packs. I tied these to the ends of my guy lines. When I set the poncho up as a shelter, I snap these hooks into the sewn-on stake loops and tie them out. When they are not in use, I just unhook them and stow them with the poncho.
Posted by: ringtail

Re: guy lines on poncho tarp - 08/06/08 09:56 AM

I attach my guylines to the stakes with a clove hitch and put the tensioning hardwear on the trap/poncho side.

I take about 1' of parachute cord and make a loop inside the tensioning loop of the guyline. The parachute cord loop is then girth/lanyard hitched to the tie loops of the poncho.

The parachute cord loop attaches/detaches easily. Not a perfect solution, but the one I use.
Posted by: Spock

Re: guy lines on poncho tarp - 08/06/08 02:26 PM

I've used two methods. The simplest is plastic mitten hooks with a prussic knot. I leave the stake end clean so I can tie any knot I want -- in case there is a natural tie-down available. The prussic allows adjustment without leaving the shelter. The mitten hooks have never failed as light as they are.

The other method is more complicated. On a couple of poncho/capes I have made integrated pockets, like reinforcements, except they invert and velcro closed to hold the line safely out of the way when wearing the poncho/cape.

Sorry about the sizing.
Posted by: Heber

Re: guy lines on poncho tarp - 08/07/08 09:36 AM

These are some really good ideas. I'll try them out. I knew you guys would come through for me.

Where could I buy some of these plastic hooks you guys mentioned? Sewing store?
Posted by: Pika

Re: guy lines on poncho tarp - 08/07/08 12:34 PM

Try Seattle Fabrics or ThruHiker