WANTED - CREE bulb UL headlamp that's regulated

Posted by: 300winmag

WANTED - CREE bulb UL headlamp that's regulated - 07/17/08 12:10 PM

We all love UL equipment that does the same job as regular equipment.

Case in point: My Princeton Tec Quad headlamp is great (and regulated for better light over the life of the battery). But it's not exactly "UL".

Could a CREE single bulb headlamp, or even the not-quite-as-bright Luxeon bulb, be put in a regulated headlamp that's 1/2 the weight of my PT Quad lamp? 1/3 the weight?

If so why the heck hasn't someone done it? Seems fairly simple.

Eric
P.S.
And, nice as it is, why isn't my small Coleman "Xtreme" Cree bulb lantern regulated? I think, if people were aware of the better performance of regulated LED lights they would pay the premium to get it. And I mean TRUE regulated circuitry, not the lesser type as in my PT Quad.
Posted by: lars

Re: WANTED - CREE bulb UL headlamp that's regulated - 07/17/08 01:13 PM

I just came back from three weeks in Peru using this. Very light, lasts ages on a battery, and you can wear it with the shock cord instead of the headband.

The downsides are that it's an area light with no throw past 20 feet or so on medium, and that low is really really low. I only noticed in the jungle since nights there are pitch black. With a bit of supplemental moon or starlight it was ok for close work and reading, though.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: WANTED - CREE bulb UL headlamp that's regulated - 07/17/08 02:10 PM

Didn’t you already ask this? http://www.backpacking.net/forums/showth...5&o=186
Or did you want a more general audience response?

And I hear you on it being regulated. It’s nice not having the light go dim immediately after putting batteries in. Plus the single cell lights are lighter and end up being more efficient.

And I’m waiting for something like my Fenix L1D (single AA, 80 lumens, not flood) to be put in headlamp mode. For now I just clip it to my ball cap.

-Barry
Posted by: dla

Re: WANTED - CREE bulb UL headlamp that's regulated - 07/20/08 04:37 PM

Streamlight Enduro.

This used to be marketed as the River Rock Headlamp sold at Target.

It is regulated, waterproof, lightweight and pretty tough. Feeds from 2xAAA's. I have a bunch of the River Rock versions and have given some away as gifts.

The original 0.5W LED had a bluish tint. I don't know if they've upgraded. If you Google "streamlight enduro modifications" etc. you will find instructions for installing a better LED.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: WANTED - CREE bulb UL headlamp that's regulated - 07/21/08 07:40 PM

Yeah, I realize I asked this same question in May (it ain't "Old Timer's Disease") but I just wanted to see if anyone knew of any progress.

Still looks like the new P.T. EOS and the Zebra light head the list.

Etic