Ultralight Chair Kit for REI 3/4 Trekker?

Posted by: Mumblez

Ultralight Chair Kit for REI 3/4 Trekker? - 07/06/08 12:05 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for a chair kit that can convert my REI 3/4-length Trekker Pad into a chair for when I'm hanging around camp. I like the look of the BA Cyclone SL Chair Kit, but I'm not sure my pad will fit inside it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BA Cyclone SL Kit: http://www.bigagnes.com/str_acc.php (at bottom of page)

REI 3/4 Trekker Pad: http://www.rei.com/product/722786
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: Ultralight Chair Kit for REI 3/4 Trekker? - 07/06/08 01:07 PM

I saw one DIY posted here long ago, with silnylon, grosgrain, and carbon arrow shafts (or kite frame poles?) for the structure. Essentially it was a copy of the Therm-a-Rest camp chair. If you are into sewing it should be easy enough to reproduce. I think it weighed 4 oz.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Ultralight Chair Kit for REI 3/4 Trekker? - 07/06/08 02:04 PM

http://www.rei.com/product/719820
Posted by: Mumblez

Re: Ultralight Chair Kit for REI 3/4 Trekker? - 07/06/08 03:06 PM

I've considered the Thermarest, but it is a little heavier than I would like for the kit. I would prefer it to be 8oz. or less in weight. The Big Agnes is nice because it only weighs 6oz. I'll have to see if I can order one and try it out. Although, they look like they won't be out until July 16th.
Posted by: chaz

Re: Ultralight Chair Kit for REI 3/4 Trekker? - 07/07/08 11:54 AM

The big Agnes easy chair kit is only $20. I think the extra few oz's would be worth it. My last trip was spent mostly standing or sitting in the edge of my hammock. It was set up some distance from cooking etc.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Ultralight Chair Kit for REI 3/4 Trekker? - 07/07/08 09:28 PM

dk,

I think making one would be the best way to go. You could use very light (but sufficiently strong) fabrics or netting, webbing and buckles and some Dyneema or Spectra for the bottom piece to prevent punctures.

Many is the time I'd have wanted to use one of these chairs after a long day on the trail. And they are great for just sitting and reading of B.S.-ing around the campfire.

As for the stiffeners I recommend carbon fiber if you can find it. After all, we're trying to get weight to the absolute minimum.

So PLEASE someone, make one and sell us the plans & list of materials suppliers.

Eric
Posted by: chaz

Re: Ultralight Chair Kit for REI 3/4 Trekker? - 07/08/08 03:55 AM

Ditto to the chair plans Eric. I would be much interested in such a chair. There are several cheap ones but the oz's add up. I use a CSF pad in my hammock that I would like to put to double duty on a chair frame.
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: Ultralight Chair Kit for REI 3/4 Trekker? - 07/08/08 07:52 AM

Yeah, it's on my to-do list of backpacking projects...which I'm sure I won't get to until I retire in 2 years (hopefully). I have one of the Thermarest chairs, so I can just copy that with lighter materials.
Posted by: johndavid

Re: Ultralight Chair Kit for REI 3/4 Trekker? - 07/08/08 09:09 PM

The items that convert a Thermarest into a "chair" weigh about 10 ounces. Say you've got a lighter weight Thermarest and it weighs about 16 ounces.

Thus, a regular crazy creek "chair" is marginally lighter than this set-up IF you're willing to give up the remarkable comfort of a Thermarest and simply use the collapsed chair in lieu of a sleeping pad.

I think that's a fairly lousy argument against these conversion deals, but that's part of my thinking about not wanting one. Am unfussy about mattresses, sleep on lumpy futon at hope and like it.

I often use a CC chair or similar, and leave pads at home. It's certainly not the lightest option but it's viable in warmer weather, and I sure like sitting around in a chair.

Also, I'm fearful that the conversion jobs might stress a Thermarest and thus hasten its inevitable demise, but I have nothing on which to base this concern.