Prophet 65 backpack

Posted by: Ash

Prophet 65 backpack - 05/24/08 11:16 PM

Hi,
I recently purchased a Prophet 65 pack at The North Face Outlet for $60 (my first pack of my own). Though there is a list of features, there are many loops and such that I'm not quite sure what to do with. Does anyone here own one, and could explain some of the more obscure facets of the pack?

Thanks,
Ash
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Prophet 65 backpack - 05/26/08 08:11 AM

North Face packs are designed for climbers. The loops at the bottom of the pack or to hold the head of your ice axe and ice tools and the shafts are held by velcro tab about mid-pack on the back. A webbing that has several loops sewn in is called a "daisy chain". This can be used to clip nuts and cams usng a caribiner. I personally never liked the daisy chain on the back. If there is a piece of sturdier material under a set of straps, this is for carrying crampons. I do not own a Prophet pack, but some straps and loops can be for carrying a rope. Some packs have little pockts on each side for carrying wands (glacier travel). And because outdoor companies want to get thier "market share", there are likely a few loops that are just stupidly useless - simply put there to make you think you have something better than the next guy!

When I buy a pack, after a few trips I figure out what I need and what I do not use and remove those "bells and whistles" that I do not use.