Merrell Outland low shoes

Posted by: Rich_M

Merrell Outland low shoes - 05/18/08 02:04 PM

I have been hiking for many years, but in high top boots. But I would like to try hiking in low cut trail shoes like my Merrell Outlands. I am leaving tomorrow for a five day backpack trip on an established trail.My pack weight is 30# complete. The weather is supposed to be in the 70's the whole trip.

Are there any shoe/boot experts out there that can tell me if this would be a good idea or should I stick to the boots.
Posted by: 12Step

Re: Merrell Outland low shoes - 05/18/08 02:33 PM

The benefit of boots over shoes is ankle support. I hike with people that wear low cut Merrells, I wear Merrells as everyday gym shoes. I wear boots hiking because I have weak ankles, and it doesent take much for me to potentially hinder a hiking trip because I landed wrong on one or both ankles.

Wearing low cut shoes often can also benefit your ankles because the muscles in your lower legs build up reducing future ankle problems.

There are several exercises you can do to strengthen the areas around your ankles.

Tom
Posted by: Hector

Re: Merrell Outland low shoes - 05/18/08 04:31 PM

Depends on your ankles, I guess. I only wear low-cut Merrell ventilators except in winter, when I wear some Nikes with Goretex liner. No problems yet, and it's been many years.
Posted by: Bearpaw

Re: Merrell Outland low shoes - 05/18/08 04:47 PM

Do they fit you well?

Do you have a history of ankle or achilles tendon problems?

Have you ever day-hiked in low-cuts with a 30-pound pack?

Do your shoes give you the level of waterproofing or breathability you need for the area and time of year in which you're hiking?

All of these affect your choice of footwear.

For me, I would probably be fine with a heavier low boot like the Outland, which is a step above a trail runner in both support and weight. However, I wouldn't be so happy with the all leather style which substantially reduces breathability in southeastern humidity. If you have hiked with the shoes and a heavier pack in training, you'll get a decent idea of whether it is right for you.