New lightweight camp sandals

Posted by: 300winmag

New lightweight camp sandals - 05/17/08 12:53 PM

I bought a nice pair of lightweight (10 oz. /pair, size Large) of black plastic sandals at WALGREENS.

The name on the heel is "Caribbean Cartel". They appear to be made of a very dense closed cell foam type of black plastic B/C they float. The sandals come as Crocs knock-offs or, like mine, as river sandals W/ as small nylon strap & Velcro closure. The soles are about 3/8" thick and have a decent tread pattern.

For $9. or so they seemed FAR superior to the Sprint Aquatics slippers I've tried (and worn out in a wek of camping), I'd use these sandals for river crossings as well as around camp.

Yeah, 10 oz. may seem like a lot to carry for camp shoes but ya gotta choose yer luxuries and, along with my full length UL Thermarest, these are a "necessary luxury". Plus, the chances of getting anything lighter that is this substantial and multipurpose is nearly impossible.

Eric
Posted by: johndavid

Re: New lightweight camp sandals - 05/17/08 03:30 PM

I googled these and found nothing. Can you provide a link?

I've long wished for very lightweight cheap sandals that were not in "flip-flop" design, which I personally much dislike.

. I don't like any of the models that are commonly recommended.

I've had two pairs of the cheapest "Columbia" brand sandals. I like them somewhat.

I've used them recently on fairly long trail approach to two days of off-trail hiking that more or less required nasty mountain boots (later ditched) , as a successful means ??? of sparing my feet from potential blisters.

I've also used them extensively for in-camp wear, and for wading in streams while fly fishing and as all-important alternative to rock-climbing shoes.

I think at $30 a pair, the Columbia brand are too expensive and also too heavy.

A decent or much superior pair of sandals usable for hiking, really cheap and light, are well within range of possibility, but haven't found any.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: New lightweight camp sandals - 05/18/08 03:26 PM

John,

Sorry, there's no site for these. You'll have to go to a Walgreens' store to check 'em out.

Eric
Posted by: EWH

Re: New lightweight camp sandals - 05/18/08 07:53 PM

I checked my local Walgreens in Cupertino, CA but they did not have any. Bummer, I really wanted to check them out. Hopefully they will show up at a later date. I'll check back in a month or so.